• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 rocker panel repair

Hello all SS members,happy Easter,Passover and anything else you want to celebrate.
Okay,I'm looking to get some information on replacing my rocker panels.They are both rotted through and was wondering if anybody could help me out with this.
I see Memphis Equipment sells the replacements fairly cheap so thats good.But I'm not a body man, so has anyone done this and do you have any pics I could use as a guide line?
I do have a MIG welder and have it set up with the Argon/Co2 bottle.Any Info would be helpful and appreciated.Thanks and everyone have a happy and safe weekend.metalworker393

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If a kit is offered, I'd go that route. There have been some threads on doing rockers on here, might want to look for them. This one shows some work:

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure enough I had posted this somewhere... can't find it now...:?

(edit: found one post at least, here....)

A little drawing with dimensions here- plus many more pics available, for all of you who really enjoy doing body-repair... :)

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can probably get a rust free cab for 3-500 dollars, I'd just replace it whole and be done with it. They can be swapped in a weekend.[thumbzup]

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can probably get a rust free cab for 3-500 dollars.........
Good for you and all others, in your part of the world; and may supply last forever...!
Not my case, though: in our country they do not allow the import of a used whole cab tub, or a cargo bed, or a chassis; be it military or not! :x
The few M44-series trucks still available here (most have survived 50 years of service!) are severely rusted through in the critical areas like door posts and - rocker panels and/or have undergone "horrible" patchwork already, so one has to be "creative", or find someone who is..... :smile:

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL....... and then you want it sent back, or....?????

Hey, let's do it the other (cheaper) way around: I'll help you fix it at your place, and you take care of my daily expenses there for about a week....? Including a coastal sightseeing tour after work is done....? ;-)
(Oh, and don't worry, I can sleep on the couch......:))

Magic....? No, we need a MIG! :lol:

G.

jesusgatos

gringeltaube, you crack me up. All your drawings are just great. You could put them together and sell a book!

Use an arc welder and Bubble gum weld a piece of 2" steel angle to cover that hole.. thats what the army did with mine... looks fabulous!
You make it sound like a hack, but that's a pretty standard way to reinforce the rocker panel guards on Jeep tubs. Works great and looks pro too when it's done right. Formed sheetmetal is a little bit nicer, but hey, work with what yah got. Have a brand new cab and was just thinking about this (whether or not to reinforce the rocker panels, and how).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks