• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric windshield wiper conversion

ok, ive searched the threads, and found alot on fixing the vaccum windshield wipers, but i need to know where i can get the kit or parts to convert over to electric windshield wipers. is this a custom only thing? i thought they used to sell kits for other vehicles years ago, but i cant find anything on them... any help would be greatly appreciated !!

kevin-m1008

I do not have an answer for you but interested in what others have done. When I finish my diesel conversation. I will need a good solution for my M715.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have electric swipes on my M37 that were on it when I got it. They fit just fine in the existing wiper spots. The wiper shaft goes through a hole in the windsheild frame (about 1/2") and then one machine screw goes through the wiper motor and the windsheild frame. The on/off switch is built on the wiper motor body, just run a fused wire to it. They look a lot like the 12V units available at most marine outlets. If you are still 24 volt, it could get more interesting.

Oldfart

Way back in the late 60's, I converted mine over to 24v electric. The shaft through the windshield has an outer threaded sleeve with outer and inner jamb nuts to adjust the position of the motor assembly. The assembly is self contained with its own switch. They look sort of like the depicted units from AB Linn, but are just unpainted pot metal. Mine came from a marine supply store somewhere on the east coast (don't remember where, but that long ago they are probably out of business by now.) I fed the power wires through the vacuum tubing along the windshield and I used the old blades and arms. Very few people noticed they were different.

m38mike

You might try searching through Amazon.com. I did and found a nice set of wiper motors. Here's a link. They are very simple to wire up. Bring in a fused hot wire for power, and a ground wire and you're done. They match the same mounting holes that the vacuum wipers used. And they come in 12v and 24v. With a little OD spray paint, most folks will never know they are not original.
Amazon.com: Wiper Motor Kit 24 Volt Electrical kit: Automotive

thanks everyone, youve all given me great leads, and im finding tons of options now that i have an idea of where to look. i just had no idea where to start looking for something like that before, and was afraid it would be one of those products that had long ago gone by the way side due to lack of demand. glad i was wrong!!
and M38mike... the O.D. idea is a great trick, but it would be the only thing that did end up looking original on my abomination!!:-D

CGarbee

I use a heavy duty electric wiper setup in mine. The writeup showing how to do it (parts numbers may be out of date, but any good shop should be able to cross them to current numbers) is located at:
Electric Wipers

I used the same basic setup that Dan Pinkham used on his M37 that he wrote up in MV Magazine years ago.

Good wipers are a must when going 75mph in the rain... :)

Good luck,

foxtrk2

just for info adirondock dodge and vintage power wagon both sell 24 volt wiper set ups got them fo rmine three years back not very expensive and easy install

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks