• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce fuel tank dimensions...

houdel

For what it is worth, capacity is 40 gallons to the "full" mark on the tank, 50 gallons filled to the brim. WARNING - the fuel pump does NOT extend to the bottom of the tank, there is approximately 10 gallons of "unuseable" fuel in the bottom of the tank. I can only assume this was done deliberately to allow water and crud to accumulate in the bottom of the tank to keep the engine running under tactical refueling conditions. Be advised, depending on how your pump and fuel level sender are set up, you WILL RUN OUT OF FUEL when your fuel guage reads somewheres between 1/8th and 1/4 fuel remaining! Ask me how I know!

rmgill

You'll run out of fuel on a hill before you run out of fuel on the flats. I've done this. Pulled up to the level spot and at a light right as the engine died. Then scrambled to get the fuel system bled while blocking traffic at a light.

army70deuce

Thanks for posting the tank dimentions, I'm planning on putting the tank in the bed inside a job site box and this helps in planning being that I'm half a world away from my deuce right now.

Seth_O

Reviving an old thread (handy search function!) Anyone know the dry weight of the tank? Trying to figure shipping costs :-(.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it is worth, capacity is 40 gallons to the "full" mark on the tank, 50 gallons filled to the brim. WARNING - the fuel pump does NOT extend to the bottom of the tank, there is approximately 10 gallons of "unuseable" fuel in the bottom of the tank. I can only assume this was done deliberately to allow water and crud to accumulate in the bottom of the tank to keep the engine running under tactical refueling conditions. Be advised, depending on how your pump and fuel level sender are set up, you WILL RUN OUT OF FUEL when your fuel guage reads somewheres between 1/8th and 1/4 fuel remaining! Ask me how I know!
So the "50" gallon tank is really a 30 gallon tank since you can't use the bottom 10 or add in the top 10? What a strange way to design a tank. aua

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the "50" gallon tank is really a 30 gallon tank since you can't use the bottom 10 or add in the top 10? What a strange way to design a tank. aua
The fuel pump attachment is adjustable - you can lower the pump and it will pick up from a lower level, having more useable fuel. Under normal, civy conditions, without fuelling up from cruddy jerrycans etc., that is probably perfectly fine, especially when you make sure that the bottom of the tank is clean.

rustystud

The fuel pump attachment is adjustable - you can lower the pump and it will pick up from a lower level, having more useable fuel. Under normal, civy conditions, without fuelling up from cruddy jerrycans etc., that is probably perfectly fine, especially when you make sure that the bottom of the tank is clean.

After I cleaned up both my tanks ( the main and aux) . I set the pump level to right above the tank bottom with about 1/2" of clearance. It has worked great ever since. I also fill my tanks to the brim when I'm going on a little trip. So basically I have about 48 usable gallons per tank. I only had a problem once when I forgot to turn back on the main switch when the fuel was being drawn from the left tank. I had shut-off the switch because I was tired of hearing the air alarm. Since my system needs power to reroute the return fuel, when I shut-off the power it sent the fuel back to the right tank instead of the left one. Needless to say the right tank over filled and spilled out all over the place ! Going out the breather lines and past the cap. Now when I have the tanks filled to the brim I never shut-off the power switch !

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for posting the tank dimentions, I'm planning on putting the tank in the bed inside a job site box and this helps in planning being that I'm half a world away from my deuce right now.
Assure you know the state laws about external fuel tanks before you build it. Some states have heavy duty fines for fuel that did not come from a commercial pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks