• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

update on my engine swap. Water in new engine crank case :(

m1garand_man

So my engine swap is going well. I took the oil pan off the 6.2 that I got from Boyce equipment. (They said that the engine came out of a truck with 18k original miles, which I believe due to the total absence of oily residue on the front of the engine like my blown one has after 110k miles. Also other parts on the engine looked very clean for their age. Now anyone who has degreased one of these knows that its hard to get all of the deposits off the engine and for that reason I think they were honest with me.)

However like I was saying when I pulled the pan I was dismayed to find some oil in there that had obviously been contaminated with coolant. So now I'm thinking, "is this another blown motor?" I thought that Boyce had a great reputation and wouldn’t ship garbage out. They told me the engine was run about three months ago for 30-60 minutes on a stand. They said they try to get them good on hot to see if there are any problems before shipping. The water pump was seized with rust and had to be replaced and I had to flush the rust out of the block. There was about 3 ounces of rust sediment that came out of it. I figured at the time maybe it was because they ran it with water and then just put it away afterward and it rusted. I am not too concerned about the rust but the water in the oil is a problem.

The oil pan still had a lot of black oil residue which is normal and most of the engine was coated in dirty black oil on the inside so if water did get in there it wasn’t much. The engine I'm replacing had nothing but gray contaminated oil in it. It was the expert opinion of one of the guys (he was a wheeled vehicle mechanic for the air force) at the shop on the airbase I live on that it probably was from when they may have washed the engine and may have gotten water in the oil fill tube. I'm not sure if Boyce would have been so careless as to do that by accident but I don’t know.

What do you guys think? I'm at the point where I have a lot of my parts on the "new" engine now and I am going to probably drop it in this weekend. Do you think that I should trust Boyce as much as I have? Do you agree with the assessment of water being accidentally introduced into the system?

Is there normally a certain amount of moisture in the crankcase of a 6.2l? By the way the CDR system was spotless. No gray sludge like in my blown motor.

hre513

I would definitely contact them, maybe it was an honest mistake.
:ditto:
The CDR being clean is probably a good sign and just water from a pressure washer getting in the motor. It is still a lot of work changing motors so I would make sure I had a good one from the start. Was it antifreeze in the oil? Was the oil and coolant mixed together?

m1garand_man

It’s hard to tell weather it was coolant or water in the crankcase. I did a test at home where I mixed straight 30-weight oil with just water. And one where I mixed it with coolant. Afterward I couldn’t tell the difference really. Even after a full 24 hours both had only started to separate a little bit. Of course the coolant mixed with oil in my test more readily than the water. One thing was fairly evident however. It seems like it was very likely that what ever was in the crank case of the new engine (either water or coolant) it was introduced in to the engine before it was last ran since neither of my test samples mixed on their own.

The engine is in the truck now so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

One good thing was the CDR system and the timing chain housing was free of any of the gray sludge that was heavy in both areas on my blown motor. So it makes me think that it’s more likely that the contamination was water either from rain or from a pressure washer.
It’s hard to tell weather it was coolant or water in the crankcase. I did a test at home where I mixed straight 30-weight oil with just water. And one where I mixed it with coolant. Afterward I couldn’t tell the difference really. Even after a full 24 hours both had only started to separate a little bit. Of course the coolant mixed with oil in my test more readily than the water. One thing was fairly evident however. It seems like it was very likely that what ever was in the crank case of the new engine (either water or coolant) it was introduced in to the engine before it was last ran since neither of my test samples mixed on their own.

The engine is in the truck now so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

One good thing was the CDR system and the timing chain housing was free of any of the gray sludge that was heavy in both areas on my blown motor. So it makes me think that it’s more likely that the contamination was water either from rain or from a pressure washer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks