• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leece-Neville M Series Starter Manual PDF

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a prestolite starter that i had rebuilt for my deuce, but needed a starter faster than it got rebuilt so i bought a take out also. are the civy starter specs the same as the MV specs for the starter?

Katahdin

Re specs, all I can really say is the "MANUFACTURERS PART NO" on my starter matches this manual. Here's the part number and link to specs.

M0017704ME (7704ME)

Edit: added photo of label I'm referring to. And this reference to military use in the link above:

This is a maintenance manual for the US-made M-Series starter motors. Covers routine maintenance and repairs for the most popular (primarily military) starter motors.

Attachments

Last edited:

ARYankee

I was totally unaware of this thread until I started to start my own about the same exact discovery :) I am also having some starting issues and from what I have seen of this manual, it will be a great tool to use if my starter is toast.

Katahdin

FYI, my problems with this particular starter was traced back to moisture getting into the solenoid. It was sold as NOS and it was exposed to moisture while in storage before it got to me. aua

I was not able to acquire a new solenoid from a surplus dealer, seems the ones out there do not match this starter and probably go to older models. I ended up paying $160 through normal parts distribution for the new solenoid. :cry:

On the plus side I am getting really good at changing out Deuce starters! :grin:

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had failures to crank since I bought my truck over six years ago; about once every fifteen tries, or so. No big deal, unless you have a half dozen veterans in the back, starting a parade!

I pulled mine today, expecting issues with the solenoid contacts. There were, but not too bad.
IMG_1398_web.jpg
This is the moving disc on the back of the plunger, and the inside of the solenoid cap. The copper bolts are shorted together by the copper disc when the start pushbutton is pressed, which connects the solenoid coil to the batteries and causes the plunger to pull in. As can be seen, pitting occurs as the current arcs when the start switch is released. This causes copper to vaporize, creating pits. One of the bolts has already been filed, polished, and treated with a silver compound called "Cool Amp". No, they are not two different sizes; the angle of the camera caused a skew of the image. BE CAREFUL when you remove the bolt nuts; I was using an impact, and the nut seized to the bolt, causing it to spin which cracked the solenoid end cap.

I polished the back of the disc as well, flipping it over to use the unpitted back side.
IMG_1399_web.jpg
The Cool Amp has been applied four times to the disc, and six times to the bolt. The other bolt was also reconditioned like the first (not shown). I also cut washer spacers out of .015" copper sheet and placed them behind the bolt heads to shim the bolts closer to the disc to make up for the pitting, filing, and polishing (not shown).

Cool Amp is used in high current electrical contacts in industrial environments; it is applied with a damp cloth and rubbed onto the surface vigorously. The coating on the work I did is probably a mil or so, but silver doesn't evaporate as easily as copper so these contacts will last longer (beyond my passing??).

I rigged an overhead support and a small chain hoist to position the starter; I'm getting to where I can't sling this heavy crap like I used to.
IMG_1405_web.jpg IMG_1406_web.jpg
A cable choker was used around the starter.

I noticed that the turbo outlet is less than 4 inches from the starter; if you know old Chevy V-8's, you know the heat from the exhaust can cause problems.
IMG_1407_web.jpg
I plan to fabricate a sheet steel (stainless?) heat shield. The starter looked fine, so did the solenoid (and I get my exhaust up to around 1,100 deg. F every time I take it to town due to a long, steep hill) but I still would like to preserve the starter.

Thanks to all you guys for the posts and info on the Leece-Neville manual!

-Ken

Last edited:

rustystud

I have had failures to crank since I bought my truck over six years ago; about once every fifteen tries, or so. No big deal, unless you have a half dozen veterans in the back, starting a parade!

I pulled mine today, expecting issues with the solenoid contacts. There were, but not too bad.
View attachment 736902
This is the moving disc on the back of the plunger, and the inside of the solenoid cap. The copper bolts are shorted together by the copper disc when the start pushbutton is pressed, which connects the solenoid coil to the batteries and causes the plunger to pull in. As can be seen, pitting occurs as the current arcs when the start switch is released. This causes copper to vaporize, creating pits. One of the bolts has already been filed, polished, and treated with a silver compound called "Cool Amp". No, they are not two different sizes; the angle of the camera caused a skew of the image. BE CAREFUL when you remove the bolt nuts; I was using an impact, and the nut seized to the bolt, causing it to spin which cracked the solenoid end cap.

I polished the back of the disc as well, flipping it over to use the unpitted back side.
View attachment 736903
The Cool Amp has been applied four times to the disc, and six times to the bolt. The other bolt was also reconditioned like the first (not shown). I also cut washer spacers out of .015" copper sheet and placed them behind the bolt heads to shim the bolts closer to the disc to make up for the pitting, filing, and polishing (not shown).

Cool Amp is used in high current electrical contacts in industrial environments; it is applied with a damp cloth and rubbed onto the surface vigorously. The coating on the work I did is probably a mil or so, but silver doesn't evaporate as easily as copper so these contacts will last longer (beyond my passing??).

I rigged an overhead support and a small chain hoist to position the starter; I'm getting to where I can't sling this heavy crap like I used to.
View attachment 736904 View attachment 736905
A cable choker was used around the starter.

I noticed that the turbo outlet is less than 4 inches from the starter; if you know old Chevy V-8's, you know the heat from the exhaust can cause problems.
View attachment 736906
I plan to fabricate a sheet steel (stainless?) heat shield. The starter looked fine, so did the solenoid (and I get my exhaust up to around 1,100 deg. F every time I take it to town due to a long, steep hill) but I still would like to preserve the starter.

Thanks to all you guys for the posts and info on the Leece-Neville manual!

-Ken
Thanks for the tip on "Cool Amp" ! I'm going to buy some and see how it works out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks