• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

setting up the M274 Mule for towing?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever modified a Mule to tow a trailer behind it? It's kinda hard, being that the engine is in the back, but I think with a little ingenuity one could haul a small yardwork trailer, or a 1/4-ton jeep trailer, behind it for hauling firewood or boxes....

Sarge29

I dont have a photo but, You can fab up a hitch easily. Start with a piece pf flat stock 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches wide. bend it to about 45 degrees and bolt it to the corners where the loops are attached to the bed. Add a piece of 2 inch heavy wall pipe between the two brackets and put the type hitch you want in the center. I used a pintle. On each end add a piece of flat stock to beef up the outside of angle brackets (like a gusset) and weld the pipe to this as well. this is strong enough to pull a Cobra (AH1) so it should pull anything you want. We use this setup to pull a UH1 or AH1 through the Veterans day parade.

jasonjc

When I was in Germany our civilian maintenance contractor had a mule. That they used all the time to move the helicopters around. So if it can move Uh-60 and AH-64's it should move a jeep trailer.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hitch on my mule looks as near as any oem would if I had ever seen any such animal. I have a regulation pintle for it also.

Attachments

Last edited: