• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 White M16 Half Track

L999here

We honored a 93 year old WW2 vet and survivor of the Battle of the Bulge on Memorial Day. He was part of the 32nd Recon Bat. at Bastone. His unit had Chaffee and Sturat tanks...but used half tracks for recon. Someone heard they had an M16 in his unit,so I was asked to bring my M16 for the display. The gentleman spent some time looking and recalling his experiences. This is the first time I had driven this vehicle off the trailer it was on. Some pic's for posterity...O...guns are dummy's and soon to be 'gas-guns' for live fire.

Attachments

Wayofftrack

Curious what the frame serial number is? Does it match the number on the data plate?
The number should be located on the drivers side frame rail above the front shock.

L999here

...have to look..

The title says the same #'s as the data plate...but it's a good chance they all match. The gentleman who restored this half track had restored 8 or 9 previously and had kept this one for himself....that should say something. I'll be checking for this when I get a chance and tell you for sure. All that needs to be done is replace the rear armor,replace the cracked exhaust manifold and get the gas guns completed. I'm working on it....

M920

Awesome looking Half-track L999here, I always wanted one....[thumbzup]

You still take the FV432 for a spin once in a while?

Soni

L999here

....ride 'em..

Between the constant rain and storage problem's...have not had a chance to crank up the APC. Friend who stores it has been keeping batteries charged and starting occassionly. Trying to get woods cleared and graded to store all this stuff...LOL. Takes time and effort...and I'm not getting any younger. Pic's will be order of the day when we get all of it together...for the first time.

Wayofftrack

Halftracks are the coolest. I was going to include your serial number in the survivors db but wanted to make sure what the frame number is since we go off that. Data plates sometimes get switched around. I'm guessing it matches since the plate is original.

Originally your m16 would have had a winch. If you are interested in putting that back together I can help you with pictures, etc. I have one apart now that I will be riveting back to the frame before too long on my m2 resto.

Btw i have a scout car project for sale if you would like some additional pusnishment. No rear armor but the cab/chassis still has the original ww2 name on the passenger door.

Last edited:

L999here

....OK....

Little late getting back to this thread,but thank you for the offer and the video. I have to rebuild the winch...an original....and the bumper was just an add-on in the meantime for display. Will probably ask your assistance during the rebuild of the winch...at least for pic's and such. Appreciate the interest....

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
L999 Great story and pretty much a honor for you to be involved in this event and the Half track is a true work of art thatnks very mcuh for sharing the story and Wayofftrack great video you provided, there is just something about a quad 50 mount that gets a guys blood moving! I think I might just drop over If I ever saw a 10 tonner with a quad 50 mount on its back, could seriously put my weak constitution over the top!
KK

datadawg

Hey L999, love your HT. What do you know about the time and cost of restoration? Also, are those quads made by muckabouts? Do you know if M16's with original armor (folding sides) are super rare in US? I am trying to purchase one in Europe, and I am not a purist who needs original armor, but just trying to validate seller's position that it adds so much to the price. It's a fully restored machine and my other fear is that I will be afraid to drive it. I would hate to just own a trailer queen, have always wanted a Half Track ever since I climbed on a war relic in Israel (my avatar photo).

L999here

Can't take the credit for the restoration. Previous owner did most all of it except leaving the rear armor off to work on the mount. Not sure how many M16's are around. Might have to ask the guys on G503 site. I'm up to my eyeballs in snow and -0 deg temps. No inclination to work on this stuff until it hits at least 40 deg. If you are able to find a drivable M16 and get it here for less than $30K....good luck. Mine came with a truck full of NOS parts,4-guns made from original parts and all the manuals.....very lucky.

vettes

Awesome track. Hey the dash pic, sticker in yellow about bell housing drain plug, I have never seen that, is that for the round hole on bottom, not the square inspection plate right?

datadawg

Can't take the credit for the restoration. Previous owner did most all of it except leaving the rear armor off to work on the mount. Not sure how many M16's are around. Might have to ask the guys on G503 site. I'm up to my eyeballs in snow and -0 deg temps. No inclination to work on this stuff until it hits at least 40 deg. If you are able to find a drivable M16 and get it here for less than $30K....good luck. Mine came with a truck full of NOS parts,4-guns made from original parts and all the manuals.....very lucky.
The M16 I'm looking at is considerably more, Seller is firm at 42K pounds, which is around $64K. He has done a nut and bolt restoration several years ago and says it's totally original M16, not an M5 reworked into an M16. From what I gather the original M16's with original armor are quite rare, apparently there are only 4 in UK. His Maxson turret is complete but electrics don't operate, it might be a missing electric motor, though I'm not sure. I spent 2 hours on the phone with the guy and wasn't knowledgeable enough to ask the right questions to understand exactly what's needed to make it work. He did say if he got it sorted out, price would rise a lot, so I'm somewhat conflicted if I even want to push the issue.
Trying to figure out whether to take the plunge, it's a lot of dough and I don't want to get clobbered. Per all due diligence I've done, M16 with original WWII armor are worth more than M16 created post war (M16A1). Would be nice to get feedback from owners with real info, as I'm limited to trying to piece together values from hearsay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks