• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt system charging

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even simpler, if your charger does not ground its negative (most don't), or you don't set the charger on the truck, you don't have to disconnect the link. Jump starting from a 12 v vehicle works the same way, topping up one battery at a time, or two 12v vehicles, one for each battery.

Stalwart

I use a Chargetek CT500-1 in the Scorpion and Fox, the Ferret just gets dead batteries. You never need to disconnect this charger and it maintains each battery separately.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a Chargetek CT500-1 in the Scorpion and Fox, the Ferret just gets dead batteries. You never need to disconnect this charger and it maintains each battery separately.
I have used the CT500 also and blown two units over a 5-year period, one due to a bad battery clamp causing major voltage spikes and one from lightning strike(s) when connected to the house.
I would therefor recommend that the CT500 is disconnected during cranking of the engine and unplugged in severe weather...
In general, I like the Chargetek maintainer and it keeps the batteries to within millivolts of each other.
My 2cents

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

Exactly Bjorn, it is indeed best to disconnect before starting. They won't assist in starting anyway. I haven't had a Chergetek fail yet but that is after I learned my lesson with my all time favorite charger: Interacter PS 24 Volt 8 Amp

I blew a fuse a few times but it looks like the latest models have a protection circuit but I'm not sure. I AM sure I'd purchase another in a heartbeat, I keep a NATO plug on it for the vehicles I don't have a Chargetek on. Not cheap and you don't want to drop it on your foot unless you like broken toes. Also MADE IN THE USA!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks