• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone headed to Chambersburg, PA for the 7/28 GL auction?

Potluckslammy

Hello to all. This is my first post, so I hope I get it right.

Anyone from TX, OK, AR, LA headed to PA for the GL auction at the end of the month? If so, and you plan on being there a day or two early, I would like to hitch a ride so I can peruse the equipment up for bid. I would certainly be happy to split gas/driving, and help with loadout.
As far as experience dealing with GL, MV inspection for aquistion, what to look for, etc., I am a baby-faced, green recruit, just off the bus, and standing on the yellow footprints, if you follow me. I mean, I can spot dry-rotted tire, and I know an oil puddle means trouble, but for increasing my chances of selecting an old soldier worth the trip, and more than half-way likely to make it back, I could sure use some benevolent advice and assistance from an old salt with a keen eye. Which brings up a second request; should I find a particular article of interest, and place the winning bid, any problem with me adding +1 to the convoy headed home?
I thought about flying up, rolling the dice, and driving home, but knowing my luck I would almost certainly choose the worst of the pack, the one old dog, barely clinging to life, waiting on a sucker like me to lay claim to it so it can roll over and die at the worst possible moment, in the worst possible place! Plus, you can't exactly bring a tool box and a big, honkin jack on any domestic flights these days. Shipping is completely out of the question.
Anyone? Anyone?

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that easy. You first have to win, then wait for your EUC paperwork to go through, then call and make an appointment within ten days to pick-up. Everybodies time frame is different, so it would be hard before the sale to arrange a ride. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Ratch

I'm scheduled at 1 for non-vehicle stuff. If I see you, I'll definitely come by and chat. I'll be in a Black Tahoe with an M101, just like my profile pic but without the top.

Ratch

I'll be there tomorrow at 12 Maybe i'll see you there Ratch . Look for a yellow f350 dually.

I got there very late today, had a misunderstanding at the gate that cost some time.

I guess your loadout went well since I didn't see you when I finally got there at 2... :wink:

Mine was probably 15 minutes once I reached the lot. Getting there was half the battle...

R Racing

I wore my CAC card and got right in and didn't need to sign or fill out anything which was nice. I'm sorry we missed each other. I was loaded and gone by 12:30 I don't normally bid on much in Pa . But it was nice to get loaded up and back on the road. had some picking to do in balt afterwards . did they switch yards ? in Dec they were in the left yard. today I got loaded up in the right 1 ?

Ratch

I couldn't tell you, that was my first time there. I was thee when he locked up, and he locked up both yards. I loaded up in the left side, so they must use both now.

My misunderstanding was that the guy at the gate told me to pull aside and wait for someone from GL to bring me a vehicle pass. I sat there and waited, then called GL to see if they got a call to come get me. When they said they don't come get people, I went to ask him again, and he told me how to get a pass and apologized for the error.

reset2

Mechanicsburg PA Pickup

I got there very late today, had a misunderstanding at the gate that cost some time.

I guess your loadout went well since I didn't see you when I finally got there at 2... :wink:

Mine was probably 15 minutes once I reached the lot. Getting there was half the battle...
I know this is a old post but I wanted to share some information to the new GL buyers. I went to Mechanicsburg to get a fuel separator and a file cabinet safe a couple months ago. I was sweating last trip because at first I couldnt find my insurance card. This base requries four things at a minumin.
1. Drivers license
2. Vehicle Regerstration
3. Insurance card
4. Prescheduled visitor pass information from GL (not sure how GovPlanet works). This also includes anyone that is riding along. One time I went with my friend and his new pickup without getting clearance for him. Took a good 20 minutes but the folks at the gate worked with us (nice people in all) and got the clearance we needed. I sure didnt want to drive his new 60k truck and leave him in the guard shack for the pickup.

Get these things in advance or you will be sitting at the gate (or worse sent home).

Interesting base to look at a lot of storage buildings and some interesting machines on rails to the Left near the back outside pickup yard.

reset2

Last week I went to recover a MEP803 at Letterkenny. Gov planet has an off base pickup/ storage lot. Pickup between 0800 and 1400 (not 4 pm like me). Just show and they have a wheel loader with forks to do load outs. Nice people there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks