• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission yoke removal

rednckii

Hello have a question looked through the search couldnt find anything so here i go. I noticed the rear bearing retainer on my 66 kaiser m35a2 was cracked more like on of the ears is completly broke off. Anyways took off the jack shaft and all other pieces in the way but now cant get the yoke off. Ive put a 3ft breaker bar on it and all i do is begin to turn the engine over. Ive tried it with the tranny in 1st and reverse either way i still just turn the motor over. Any suggestions on what i can do to get this yoke off really want to replace the retainer cap. Any help would be great thanks guys hope this hasnt been covered before.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should slide off pretty easily. The shaft is splined. You did remove the cotter pin and nut, right? Using a pry bar, you need to pry it straight out, not rotate it.

Pay attention to the shims and gasket thickness. they preload the bearing. If you are not careful, the shaft could move rearward and allow the 14 roller bearings to fall inside.

Have you read the tech manual?

rednckii

I did pull the cotter pin out its is the nut that i can not get off all im doing is turning the whole setup not breaking it loose. Any ideas on how to keep it from spinning.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used a length of 3/8" chain to hold the drive flange from turning. I put a bolt through the end link and through a flange hole, then tightened a washer and nut on the bolt. Then with the other end of the chain, wrapped it around the frame rail(over the top) and bolt it back to itself(tight).

Then I could use a breaker bar and cheater pipe to pull it loose by hand.

rednckii

Sounds like a bit of ingenuity ill give it a try tomorrow and see what i can do. Thanks for the idea ill let you know how it turns out.

DieselBob

What DH said is a good method. I also have used a large pipe wrench on the yoke and let it hit the frame so I could crank on the nut with a breaker bar and pipe.

Last edited:

treeguy

OK, thanks for the second pic, now I feel like an idiot! What the .... is the linkage for that is on the lower plate? I just crawled under my truck and all I have there is the hole in the side of the plate.

:lost:

rednckii

It goes into the transfer case drops down to here for a swivel point not really sure the correct name though. Need to find a replacement one for myself noticed the top hole on mine is wallowed out. Ill see if i can get a better pi tommorrow of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks