• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas can spout - homemade... :-)

Cigarjoe

rofl

i take this for a compliment.....

but i don't see any overengineering....a turnable tube is a must have - otherwise the tubebend is in any dirction, but not the right one.....the rest ist simple machining......

overengineered is a spout with integrated fuel gauge, LED light for night-refueling, MP3 player or something real crazy

It is indeed a compliment. Maybe for a German turning a piece of billet on a lathe for a gas can spout isn't over engineering, but to American's and most of the rest of the world it is. It is very nice. I would be willing to buy one from you if you would like to make another one.

59apache

Chipmaker
It is indeed a compliment. Maybe for a German turning a piece of billet on a lathe for a gas can spout isn't over engineering, but to American's and most of the rest of the world it is. It is very nice. I would be willing to buy one from you if you would like to make another one.
I give up....:mrgreen:

the problem is the thread.....it's uncommon in Germany (it seems to be a modified NPT - its cylindric and a bit smaller than it should be, the pitch is standard).
The simple idea is: use a cap, drill a hole, use a hose fitting, a nut and a piece of hose...ready.
But i dont have a second cap to drill thru. US cans and parts a rare as chicken teeth in germany.
AND
most important - it's fun to make your own parts, figur out and materialize it.

ALFA2

59apache, this is one well made spout, besides being hand machined out of stainless, it looks great too. I am positive that even with regular use and not much maintenance that spout will outlast all other spouts, and probably several trucks as well.
Thank you for posting.
ALFA2

jamesfrom180

It was most definitely a compliment.
But for constructive critique I would add instead of the fixed bend spout a flexable style would be more practical and would make a much easier sealing surface.

If it was me I would have made the joint between the spout and the cap threaded so that I could flip the spout around and store it in the can. Then thread the spout so I could add a stopper so then my pour spout would be in the cap all the time.

Now make one of these weather proof and you should have some really handy tool and fuel storage. :p

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
For the flexible tube - i've used both - solid and flexible. My personel opinion is that the solid is easier to handle, special with a full and heavy can. With the flexible you can't rest the spout on the tank to transfer the weight. My choose for a solid tube was well considered. I made the tube large, cause it's real pain to lift a full can and hear the fuel running slowly thru the spout......:)

With a threaded tube you'll need a seal between tube and the threaded part and a plug with a seal. You will also need a wrench to tighten the plug.

These are my thoughts, maybe i'm wrong.

I love these toolboxes, they are so cool! One of these on the right running board.....FS 34052 painted.....but the shipping ist very expensive. Buying a ammobox from a Gatling is cheaper :p

jamesfrom180

I personally agree with your design choices. Solid tube as you pointed out is a help when pouring. I would think simple o rings in a slot-relief would be sufficient. And the plug could utilize your hand type butterfly wings. More than likely you could just turn a bushing that was threaded in and out and weld the spout to it. Cool trick could be using a chain and having the plug captured so it would all stay together.

If you haven't guessed I'm an engineer there is nothing I wont try and tweek. Designs for me are never static. Your work is very very nice. Don't take my suggestion as detriments on your design matter of fact the better the starting design the more you can tweek it.

59apache

Chipmaker
i take the comments and suggestions as a inspiration and playing ideas together. i don't feel offended or degraded. just enjoy the conversation about a simple piece of metal and the thoughts and ideas around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks