• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on MEP-831A

Another Ahab

What's up with the self proclaimed cops on this site?
Not "self-proclaimed cops":

- More like oilers on a piece of rolling stock

Keep things moving smoothly and effective. It's a good thing, and it's tried-and-true here, otherwise it wouldn't be. And if you find you don't like it; not a problem, you can always bail. But give it time here. Like to hear how things work out with your MEP's.

7. That's a lucky number, right?

Last edited:

Cord

The fitting turned out to be a 5/16" JIC which I believe is comparable to a -5 AN. I used a 1/4" hose with pushlock fittings.

Cord

Does anybody know the original purchase value of the MEP-831a? Most of these units being listed don't have the NSN information filled out. If your unit was sold with the NSN info, can you forward a copy of the page to me?

Cord

If anybody has a simular document for the 831 I'd greatly appreciate a copy. My unit got dinged in transit and I'm trying to make a insurance claim. To process the claim they want a invoice showing the value of the unit. I'd rather not use the GL invoice because the value is too close to the amount I'm claiming.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked around and didn't find the printout. I don't think it would have helped anyway since it was just a row of a spreadsheet. Nothing official looking.

Cord

I ordered a pair of YTX20L-BS batteries for mine. I should have them towards the end of the week.
Had one of my two YTX20L-BS batteries fail over the winter. Engine won't crank, but there does appear to be a glimmer of voltage. Removed the batteries and brought them home. After having it on the charger I'm getting a "polarity reversed" error. Reconnected the charger and it will charge for several hours before the same error comes up. The one battery appears to be defective. Of course I bought them off Ebay. Tried contacting Yusa and they were of less than no help. Said their warranty was 6 months to a year (I'm at 18 months) depending on the seller. Awsome. Now trying to contact the original seller to see if I can't get the battery replaced. I've heard of batteries reversing their polarity before when the charger was connected incorrectly. Do the cables appear to be connected correctly in this photo?

Attachments

Another Ahab

Now trying to contact the original seller to see if I can't get the battery replaced. I've heard of batteries reversing their polarity before when the charger was connected incorrectly. Do the cables appear to be connected correctly in this photo?
Those connections sure look clean and solid, but evaluating "correct" is beyond my pay-grade.

Somebody else here is almost certain to know though.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The connections look right. I see no problems there. The first generator I did this battery setup is still going strong after more than 2 years. I hope you just got a bad battery. And I hope Yusa steps up and replaces it for you.

krikey75

Quite an awesome generator...I am new to this forum but joined because of all the valuable wisdom from other members that post here. I have several of these sets and love them. Have been a reader of most of the MEP 831 posts and want to thank all the guys that post their knowledge about this generator set.

hammick

I picked up an MEP-831a today that I won on GL. It had the military 24v battery and it's in great shape. The genset had a full tank of fuel but the oil was partially drained. Go figure.

Added some oil and it fired right up. I've changed the oil three times because there appeared to be water or condensation in oil. The inverter/governor seems to be working perfectly. I load tested it well past 100%

Mine is an '05 model that was reset with a new engine and hour meter in '09. It has 15 hours.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks