• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Starter Relay Mod Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the purpose of this Mod?
Look at the pictures at the end of this thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation

and this one

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70846-Poll-Who-has-done-the-Doghead-Relay-Conversion

While some people over a long span of time have never had an issue with the starter relay (originally was an air conditioner relay) many people have had the relay fail (like in the pictures). I personally have seen three relays fail.

Will yours fail? Maybe not. Is it possible? Yes. If it does fail, the starter will engage all by itself and continue to run until the starter burns up or the wiring lets the Smoke Genie.

You and only you can make the decision to upgrade the relay or not. As usual YMMV.

TropicalThunder

Look at the pictures at the end of this thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation

and this one

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70846-Poll-Who-has-done-the-Doghead-Relay-Conversion

While some people over a long span of time have never had an issue with the starter relay (originally was an air conditioner relay) many people have had the relay fail (like in the pictures). I personally have seen three relays fail.

Will yours fail? Maybe not. Is it possible? Yes. If it does fail, the starter will engage all by itself and continue to run until the starter burns up or the wiring lets the Smoke Genie.

You and only you can make the decision to upgrade the relay or not. As usual YMMV.
Thanks,
I'll look at that but I think previous owner might have done something. theres a huge starter type relay hanging on the bottom center of the dash. that could be his attempt at fixing it.
Cheers

rsh4364

Thanks,
I'll look at that but I think previous owner might have done something. theres a huge starter type relay hanging on the bottom center of the dash. that could be his attempt at fixing it.
Cheers
If you search cucv starter runaway you will want to make sure its been done.Lots of horror stories,mine included,It doesn't happen to all of the cucvs but if it does you will wish it hadn't.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy as buying a head of lettuce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In regards to the starter relay mod, I wanted to know if anyone has ever made a harness pigtail for the relay so that the existing harness connector could be maintained. Yeah, I know, just cut the connector off and crimp on some terminal lugs. I just have this aversion to cutting off the connector if there is a suitable way to use it.

The connector on the harness is probably female, so is there a corresponding male connector that I can buy? Has anyone taken apart the original starter relay, and if so, does it look like it would be possible to make it into a connector for the new relay?
I felt the same way about cutting off a good connector only to put a new one on.

This is how I did my relay modification. The spade lugs plug right into the factory connector. I used same colored wires so I just match the colors when installing it. I did not have a piece of white wire for the first one that I wired in, so I used white tape to denote it.

I keep a spare relay with pigtails in the glove box just in case.
Karl
Blazer B Starter Relay Modification 001.jpgBlazer B Starter Relay Modification 002.jpgBlazer B Starter Relay Modification 003.jpg

cucvrus

Very nice. I like it. It takes the hack out of the whole operation. Clean , durable, accessible and cost effective. I like it a lot. Can easily be returned to OEM and has a nice sealed unit with no exposed terminals. Very nice. Market them. They will be a big hit. Beats the pants off the other up-fit/down-fit design.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What amp rating is that relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it does, and the oem was 40 iirc.

There were several reasons I chose the one I did for the DH relay mod.

Everyone is free to choose what they want.

I don't care to debate it.

2deuce

I had my 1st relay go out recently and would have bought the one posted above in a heartbeat. Mine would no longer make a connection. Didn't lose any smoke thankfully.
I want a relay that when it does fail (all things do) it acts like a burnt fuse and doesn't weld the contacts and continue to run the starter like the original style could. If it acts this way, the amp rating only needs to be sufficient for the load. I have had that style of relay fail before without any adverse consequences ... it only needed replacement. Snap a new one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks