• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bio Diesel.....?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan all day Tuesday and needed to get fuel and the only fuel around was Bio-Diesel. The price was the same but I was skeptical of the stuff. I filled up a M-1028 which has a 6.2. The exhaust smells funny and I felt I did not have the normal power as usual. Has there been any problems reported with this alternative fuel...?

Rustsleeps

I was also very skeptical. During the phase out of "good # 2" diesel, I was trying to stay away from the ULSD on a cross country with my 3rd gen Dodge pulling a 10,000 lb trailer. I found the ULSD to be about 1 mpg less than the "old" LSD. That truck was very sensitive about different fuel. "Good" fuel from an interstate truck stop and it was a powerhouse. "Bad" from the corner gas station with the pump near the corner and it was a dog. It did not take long for me to plan my fuel stops better.

I had a bout of forgetitis and wound up at a Love's truck stop and all they had was biodiesel. I had to fill up and I was suprised. The truck ran great.

Our supervisor for the county highway dept. told me they run biodiesel all summer, but switch to ULSD in the winter months. He told me the lubricity is better with the biodiesel and they have had no problems.

I believe that just like the concerns with "regular" diesel, if you get it from a retailer that moves a good quantity of fuel, and change fuel filters on time, you should have no problems.

I still would not use it up here in the winter. Mr. Rudolf Diesel was a believer in biodiesel before it was biodiesel. He called it peanut oil and that is what he first used in his "Diesel" engine.

dittle

Bio-diesel does not get the same power output as regular diesel. Several states mandate that there is a certain percentage mix of bio-diesel in everything. Worked out well for the Minneapolis bus system several years ago when it was dictated a 20% mix in -30 weather.....every bus gelled up and they dropped the percentage requirement down after that. Personally bio-diesel sucks in my opinion, I pay enough for fuel the last thing I was is less power/mileage return for my money due to some politician getting rich over a stipulation they put into the law.

camp9

I run it all the time when I can find it. Usually it's B-5, which is only 5% bio, 95% regular diesel. wish I could find it with a higher %

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bio-diesel does not get the same power output as regular diesel. Several states mandate that there is a certain percentage mix of bio-diesel in everything. Worked out well for the Minneapolis bus system several years ago when it was dictated a 20% mix in -30 weather.....every bus gelled up and they dropped the percentage requirement down after that. Personally bio-diesel sucks in my opinion, I pay enough for fuel the last thing I was is less power/mileage return for my money due to some politician getting rich over a stipulation they put into the law.
Ethonal is even worse. Huge scam.

If more producers made biodiesel the price would come down, but you generally have only one large or two small producers in a certain area.

You can see what I was wearing in the last photo, it was cold! XM818 had B100- and didn't have a problem. I think the daytime high was around 34 that day...

Here's what Biodiesel starts out as-

Attachments

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get the % up over about %25 it can have cleaning and flush effect on your fuel system and can plug filters. It is great if you run it all the time as long as it does not gell but if you switch to it just once in a while you can have filter trouble. Eddy

oldshep

I think biodiesel is good stuff, we can only get B2(2%) around here though. Ive read that it lubricates way better than anything else . I wish I could get it in higher concentrations. As far as gelling problems, at work we sell biodiesel anti-gel treatment and many other things can be used to keep the bio. from gelling. just my2cents

chevyCUCV

If it was b100 it could do a drastic cleaning to your fuel system.
Watch your fuel lines for leaks and carry a spare filter around in case it loosens up any crud and clogs the filter

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its official, I have dragged around a tractor back hoe on bio diesel for the past 3 days. I pull the same trailer and back hoe around all the time on regular diesel and I am guesstimating a 10-15% loss of power. Especially up the same grades I drive all the time. I also do not like the weird smell. Kinda like um.................................................................... nevermind....! Don't want to get Stretches panties in a bunch.

Thats my 2 cents

flyxpl

I believe in IL our biodeisel is 10% and that is all that seems to be available at most stations . I don't like the smell either and also believe their is a power loss . I would guess the fuel may not keep as well for long term storage . Just ordered some algacide for this very reason .

flyxpl

Don, I think I have located the parts, but have yet to make the phone call . Trying to get some other projects done before winter hits .
I also may have a line on a parts gen.

Last edited:

dittle

I think biodiesel is good stuff, we can only get B2(2%) around here though. Ive read that it lubricates way better than anything else . I wish I could get it in higher concentrations. As far as gelling problems, at work we sell biodiesel anti-gel treatment and many other things can be used to keep the bio. from gelling. just my2cents
Get a higher percentage mix, you won't like it.

hedgehog69

I have been homebrewing biodiesel since the Iraq invasion. Most of the used oil I get is soy and has stayed liquid down to about 26 degrees, but I start blending in petrofuel at 32 or so. Canola makes excellent winter ...I have pumped the oil when it was way below freezing...but oil was still nice and liquid. I have a 1999 ford Powerstroke that I have put
150 k on it since I bought it used. I think I can easily say that at least 75% of those miles have been on B100. I recently bought a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300 SDL. Again..B100 until it gets too cold. I have never plugged a filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

m38mike

I have been homebrewing biodiesel since the Iraq invasion. Most of the used oil I get is soy and has stayed liquid down to about 26 degrees, but I start blending in petrofuel at 32 or so. Canola makes excellent winter ...I have pumped the oil when it was way below freezing...but oil was still nice and liquid. I have a 1999 ford Powerstroke that I have put
150 k on it since I bought it used. I think I can easily say that at least 75% of those miles have been on B100. I recently bought a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300 SDL. Again..B100 until it gets too cold. I have never plugged a filter.
I've also got a 99 F250 with the 7.3L and it loves biodiesel. They sold it here in the mountains for about a year and I used it year round. I did add an additive during winter fill ups. My engine ran quieter and smoother with the B20 blend. I tried B100 and found that I had a loss of power, not bad but noticable. 2cents

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks