• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? on titles,trailers and bill of sales

12vman

I am selling two of my M101's that i bought from GL last month

I live in Ky and the lady at the DMV told me that I dont have to have a title for that size trailer nor do I have to register it.

Only if the trailer is to be used for commercial uses does it need to be registered.

She said to register it they would need to see the bill of sale and have their affidavit filled out by the previous owner(of at least 7 years)

wouldnt the gov't be the previous owner and will the govt or GL fill out the DMV affidavit????

she said there was a homemade trailer affidavit also...

need help dont really know which direction to go on this and I am afraid 5 years down the road i will be getting phone calls wanting me to provide proof that i bought it from the govt if somebody tries to register it

Does the invoice from GL count for anything???/

Darwin T

your bill of sale is on the GL site and you can order a SF97 for like $60.00. that gives you permission to get a title. more money but you are covered. in Texas you have to register a trailer for license plates, but you don't need a title for that small of a trailer. you do for the M105's though. MGVW (trailer and max cargo) over 5,000 i think.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on the state you live in. More and more of them do want a title to transfer ownership, so they can collect taxes.

You can order the SF-97 from GL use it as proof of ownership.

I just sold a trailer to a guy in Texas and I had to order a SF-97 from two years ago. I will have to register it here in OK and then he will have to register it in TX. He is paying for it so I don't mind.

Time are changing and what worked yesterday probably won't work tomorrow.

wilfreeman

You can get an sf97 from GL for $60. It's kindof a bil of sale/ title. The way I understand it is you turn it in to the DMV when you register/title your trailer. I just looked it up on the GL website because I have some questions too. South Carolina doesn't require a title or tag, but if I sell the trailer out of state, somebody else might need one. No sale if I dont have it, so I guess i'd better go ahead and pay the $60 and get it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Alabama does not require a title on a small single axle trailer but as stated above it will come back to bite you if you need to sell it to somene in a state that requires one.

Order the SF-97 and chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Oldfart

As several have said, it differs from state to state. Here in Colorado we have titles to trailers of all sizes, but not for boats. Both are registered for tags or plates. It was somewhat of a culture shock for me when I bought a boat and trailer in Florida and found boats were titled, but not trailers. The 24.5' Lund was not a problem to register at home, but the trailer took a bill of sale and V.I.N. inspection plus a lot of through the hoops stuff at my local DMV. The SF 97 from GL should come with Florida documentation that shows it was sold by US Government to GL who in turn sold it to you. In a state that requires a title on a trailer, they would likely require a title be issued at each transfer (get their fees and taxes). Colorado would accept (with argument) an SF97 issued to someone in a state that did not require titles and a bill of sale from that person to the Colorado person who was applying for title. A string of bills of sale would really give our DMV apoplexy.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suck it up for the $60 and get the SF-97 then get it titled in your name. No issues that way.

In some states, NY being one of them, no title = no registration no matter what sad story you have or how many bills of sale or anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks