• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Understanding Automotive Electrical Systems

HikerMan

Hey everyone, I have had my CUCV for 2 months now and its only my second vehicle and I am trying to learn as I work through problems.

However, I know almost nothing about electrical systems, and am wondering what the best way to learn would be. Can anyone direct me to a source that will help me learn electrical relating to automotive systems particularly the CUCV so I can work on my truck myself? I have looked through the TMs and its still over my head and tried to find some stuff online but the 24v system adds more confusion.

I am hoping to learn how to maintain etc and just generally understand what is going on with the the magical wires under the hood :roll: Thanks for your help everyone! [thumbzup] Especially so that this doesn't happen:

Attachments

jeeplvr247

The best way to learn is to look at the Tm's and the other threads that pertain to specific issues you may be having. Usually if you have a problem, someone else on the forum has had the same problem and posted how to fix it.

michaelpilot1

There are several good diesel truck level text books that are used in technical college programs that cover basic electricity and 24 volt systems. The school that I teach at uses a Delmar book called Heavy Duty Truck Systems that covers electrical and much more. Look for used ones on ebay or amazon.com also check with a local technical school and see if the diesel or automotive instructor will let you sit in on an electrical course.

HikerMan

Well I went ahead and purchased this book: Amazon.com: Automotive Electrical Manual (Haynes Techbook) (9781850106548): Haynes: Books

I figure since it was only $4.32, I can try to learn the basics of automotive systems and extrapolate that through the TMs to apply to the 6.2L diesel. I just want to finally understand how all that works. :oops: Thanks for the advice everyone, and michaelpilot1 I am sure that book is great but cannot spare the $80-90 they wanted. Mods feel free to delete this thread

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks