• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch install

FreightTrain

Banned
Right now I have the winch installed on the truck and the PTO in a box in my building.Nothing else.I do have a drive shaft but I think it is fr a gasser setup.What will I need to buy to finish this install?I know Cable,Chain,Hook(got the little cable end thing with wedge inside),Drive shaft,PTO shifter(what brackets do I also need to mount it?).I wish I had spend the money and bought the whole setup as a full kit but I came across the winch with what I thought was the correct PTO and drive shaft for $100.Winch was correct since everything bolted on to the truck(came with the frame extentions) but the PTO was totally wrong and was broke anyway.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
You'll need the lever that bolts up to the side of the master cylinder and pops out through the floor board that operates the pto, the safety lock that keep the pto from being engaged while driving. As far as the hole in the floor board, you can look closely and see an indentation in the floor where the handle comes through, take a hammer and a piece of round metal and bang it out,it pops right out, no cutting necessary. Its actually a very easy addition, everything just bolts right up. Hope that helps.

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,so the handle is basically a all in one piece.Bolts directly to the PTO and the mounting bolt about mid way is the pivot on the master Cylinder?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shifter itself pivots on a plate that is bolted to the master cylinder. There is also a small link that goes from the shifter to the pto. Could probably be crudely fabricated with some flat stock and bolts. If you have the gasser drive shaft it can be used but you need to clearance your bellhousing a bit and its a pain to get on. You will also need a shear pin for the shaft where it atttaches to the winch. When you install the PTO it will need to be shimmed to get adequate clearance or else you risk braking the PTO or tranny case.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, how do I tell if it is shimmed correctly?
When your stuff doesn't break.

ida34

Do a search on the topic. Kenny set out the procedure for checking the clearance for the PTO. Basically get a few gaskets. You also need to get the studs instead of the bolts used for the cover plate. What follows is what Kenny said in the post. These are his words not mine.

PTO gaskets are sold in varying thickness. The combinaton of gaskets is how to obtain the clearance. What you have to do is take the inspection cover off the PTO. Bolt the PTO up with 1 gasket and all 6 stud nuts. Reach inside the PTO and put your finger on the gear that engages the transmission gears. Rock it back and forth, if it doesn't rock you need more gaskets or a thicker gasket. Input gear clearance should be between .0008 and .0012 inch. I've been doing them by feel for a long time without problems.

If you have a dial indicator then the procedure is in the -34 tm and it uses the backlash method.
TM 9-2320-361-34

Ensure transmission output gear is stabilized while measuring
backlash.
Shift into second gear (TM 9-2320-361-10).
Install new gasket (4) and PTO (5) on transmission (1) with six nuts (6). Tighten nuts (6)
15-20 lb-ft (20-27 N.m).
Set dial indicator on PTO (5) to measure PTO input gear (8) backlash.
a. Check PTO backlash. Backlash should be 0.008-0.012 in. (0.203-0.305 mm).
b. If backlash is 0.008-0.012 in. (0.203-0.305 mm), perform steps 5 through 7.
NOTE
It maybe necessary to use more than one gasket to obtain
0.008-0.012 in. (0.203-0.305 mm) backlash. Each gasket will change
backlash approximately 0.006 in. (O.152 mm).
c. If backlash is less than 0.008 in. (0.203 mm), remove dial indicator and PTO (5) from
transmission (1) and continue with step 7 using two new gaskets (4) to obtain 0.008-0.012 in.
(0.203-0.305 mm) measurement.
d. If 0.008-0.012 in. (0.203-0.305 mm) backlash measurement cannot be obtained, replace (para. 8-2)
and repair (TM 9-2520-246-34-1) transmission (1).
Remove dial indicator from PTO (5).
Remove six nuts (6), PTO (5), and gasket (4) from transmission (1).
6. Apply sealing compound on gasket (4) and transmission (1) mating surfaces.
7. Install new gasket(s) (4) and PTO (5) on transmission (1) with six new lockwashers
Tighten nuts (6) 15-20 lb-ft (20-27 N.m).
(7) and nuts (6).

I still have yet to install mine. If I get a chance today I will try to post picks of the items needed. Also check the -20p and the -34p as they have great exploded diagrams which show what goes where.

ida34

It is a gasser PTO and a Multi shaft. You can either take the short end off the driveshaft and put on the gasser end from your pto or you can buy the flange, key, and set screw to convert the PTO to be used with the Multi drive shaft as is. I got the flange and stuff from Memphis and I think it was about $50 or so.

cbvet

Got most of a like NEW winch setup today! Anyone know where I can get the PTO gaskets Kenny mentioned, & the PTO mounting studs ida34 mentions?
Thanks for any help.
Eric

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I bought the studs from a local hardware/tool place.
the gaskets are a fairly common 6 bolt spicer pattern (any truck parts place should have them)

cbvet

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if NAPA has the studs. Do you suppose I can just make some gaskets with regular gasket paper? I can't imagine why not.
Thanks,
Eric

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will want to buy the gaskets. Get a variety of them (various thicknesses). You shim the pto with the gaskets to get the correct gear lash. They are cheap!

BTW there are also 1/16" and 1/8" steel plates that can be sandwiched with gaskets to get the correct gear fit if needed.( The pto on my dump took an 1/8" steel and 3 - .020" gaskets) I doubt you will need that much shim but it is available if needed. And remember, loose is better than tight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks