• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinion Brakes

Uzaree

I have searched for Pinion Brakes and nothing I have read answered my question.

I am thinking about removing the OLD drum brakes and installing all Pinion Brakes on all axles. I have built these setups for rock crawlers however I figured this would have been asked here but I may not be searching the right question.

I would replace the complete brake system to do this. However I wouldn't install a Power Master cylinder instead I would use a manual because the Power is crazy touchy

oldshep

are you just using the truck for off road only? In my opinion i would rather have 6 drums than 3 pinion brakes, or heck, just do 4 wheel disc like i did on my bobber.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinion brakes work ok for off-road but won't last very long at hwy speeds. I don't think you'll be satisfied with the performance of them for on-road use.

Uzaree

Well I have built and used these for other rigs but nothing for something this heavy. I'm planning on trying to update this truck some to some modern technogy but I don't want to be unsafe.

Just because I have the skill, machines and know how doesn't mean I should do it. Thats why I went ahead and asked. I didn't want to make plans on something then it prove not to be a good idea.

Heath_h49008

:popcorn: This has been covered a few times.

One other issue... besides the sheer amount of energy you are asking those pinion brakes to handle... is, unless you have full lockers, the tires could still turn via the differential in opposite directions during "Lock up" braking.

mudguppy

i could also easily see a broken front axle shaft event during hard braking that would lead to a loss of the majority braking effort. you have to remember that there is more weight on the front axle alone than the entire weight of your rocker rig.

you'd also be transmitting a tremendous amount of pressure on the 'coast side' of the pinion teeth in the differential. the coast side of a pinion tooth could have as little as 2/3rds of the strength of the 'drive side' of the gear tooth. i have no idea of the actual strength rating of these specific gears, but basic design principles apply...

Heath_h49008

Offroad in a light crawler? Sure.

On-road as service brakes? Not a chance.

I am considering a couple as "Emergency" brakes... as in if all else fails... it might get me stopped ONE TIME. But, only because I can build them for <$500.

If I had the tools and cash, I would just swap on disks from an F-450 with hub adapters and call it a day.

Uzaree

One other issue... besides the sheer amount of energy you are asking those pinion brakes to handle... is, unless you have full lockers, the tires could still turn via the differential in opposite directions during "Lock up" braking.

By that logic alone the emergency brake wouldn't work. Its basicly the same thing.

Again I did sure for pinion brakes and didn't find anything, maybe I used the wrong keywords.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By that logic alone the emergency brake wouldn't work. Its basicly the same thing.

Again I did sure for pinion brakes and didn't find anything, maybe I used the wrong keywords.
The T/C brake is a parking brake not an emergency brake. A pinion brake would be a nice upgrade from the factory parking brake-just in case needed once.:beer:

KsM715

A pinion brake for an parking brake would work, for an emerg. brake, I doubt it. It might slow you down a bit but it won't stop anything.

You have to understand that the pinions are turning at a much faster speed than that wheels and tires are spinning and like Heath said, without lockers you will lose alot of braking with a pinion set up, you could lock up one side of the axle while the other side is free wheeling with no brakes at all. Not good if your traveling on muddy or loose rock hilly trails.

Heath_h49008

Put your truck in the air... all axles free to turn as if on ice... set your parking brake and spin a tire.. like one side hit traction.

Tell me what you see when you get done.

Josh

Remember the pinions are spining 6.72 times faster then the wheels. That's alot more inertia to try and slow down. Also your going from 2 massive drum brakes to one smaller disc per axle. Also if for some reason an axle shaft breaks, or a pinion strips out, you loose all ability to apply the brakes to that axle. While your regular brakes can go out, there are just more things with that set up that can remove the ability to stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks