• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ILL Title Help M35A3

hanley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have searched high and low.....maybe I missed it.

Looking for info on best way to Title an M35A3 (I recently got at GL Auction Wisconsin) in Illinois.

Plan to use as personal vehicle/non-commercial.

Would really appreciate help from someone that has been this route.

Thanks,

HANLEY

flyxpl

GL will send you a tittle , not an SF97 . Your problem is the state will complain that being a newer truck it should have 17 digits in the serial # . The A3's do not have 17 digits . For license plates ( if you want to be legal ) you will need plates for the weight of the truck . $540 dollars or about $300 if you go with a mileage plate , which limits you to 8000 miles a year .Antique plates are only good for less than 8000 pounds in IL . It can be done , but it is not cheap .

hanley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
flyxpl-

Thanks for the info. I figured as much about the hassle of VIN verification because of the lack of the 17 digit VIN. Have already talked with a Trooper that can do a VIN verification for me so I'm covered on that one.

Also aware that GL will send a title since I am in ILL just want to make sure I got my ducks in a row when I request Title from GL.

Only thing I am hung up on is what to list as the "Body Style".

Should it be listed as "Cargo"?

Is it also correct to list Vehicle Weight: 13,900 lbs GVWR: 18,900 lbs since that is how it is listed on data plate?

For ILL this would make it a "Class C" correct? (more than 16,000 less than 26,000)

Wish it were as easy to do as my M1009 and M1008's.

Sure appreciate the help.

HANLEY

camoyj7

I just looked ay my IL title and they put my deuce as a pick up. I run AV plates on mine and never had a problem. My friend had a A3 and he had to run F plates because they are good to 16000lbs. With the deuce 13,900 lbs GVWR you would be able to haul 2100lbs and still be good with standard licence. You would only need a non cdl class c if you plan on going with a plate higher than a f. F plates are around $280 a year when you go to H plates they are $560 a year!

camoyj7

This is from the Secretary of State License Plate Guide. Antique Vehicle License Plates are issued for a five year registration period expiring Dec. 31, 2014. To qualify for Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old. Firefighting vehicles must be at least 20 years old.
Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original - do not qualify for Antique Vehicle plates.
Historical License Plates, representing the model year, may be displayed on an antique vehicle, provided the owner has valid, current Antique Vehicle Plates. Plates and registration must be kept in the vehicle at all times.

Antique

I didn't see anything about weight. I titled mine at the DMV and told them what is was and they didn't have any problem giving me the plates. Not saying it's right but thats what the SEcretary of the State gave me.

flyxpl

It is not the DMV's responsibility to make sure you follow the law . The limit is 8000 pounds . Now you know .

hanley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
flyxpl-

Appreciate the input very much Sir!

Just want to do everything on the up-and-up so as not to screw somebody over down the line that may need to register one in my AO.

Thanks again.

HANLEY

ilrcparty

I was told you can go with less than class F plate but if you have any weight an get caught in a portable scale an youre over weight ur in trouble . I would recommend the F plate . and make GL get you the title for you.

I have antique plates for my A2. This is what the DMV issued to me. They told me that I could either get H plates at $500+ per year or antique plates. The gentleman who I was working with at the DMV was very familiar with dueces as he had driven them in the army. He even told me a few stories about his time in the military. At the time I got my plates, I was not aware or any weight limit on the plates, nor did the DVM note this.

When I was registering the truck, I had looked at B truck plates. The one iitem that caught my eye was the following requirements:

B-truck license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less, sport utility vehicles and antique trucks.

In looking at this, it theroretically could be registered as a B truck. However, the DMV stated, yes I could register the truck that way if I really wanted, but of course this would raise red flags and would probably be more hassle than it would be worth.

I have not had any issues with the antique plates since I got them over 6 years ago.

saddamsnightmare

January 5th, 2012.

hanley:

Sir:

Flyxpl knows whereof he is talking, unlike a lot of our experts on here, I can only advise you according to the M35A2 your truck used to be because I don't own a M35A3. The M35A2 woW was about 13,500 empty, Gross about 23,500 Lbs. For winch equipped add about 500 Lbs to both, but in a stock deuce that much weight on the front axle makes them a bear to turn without air assist. Illinois will take your money either way and make you squeal for the fun of it, which is why my deuce is staying in Texas and I hope she will have a new home there shortly, as this state really doesn't like FMV's particularly large FMV's like a deuce or 5 ton. You will need to get your personal driver's license uprated to to reflect the weight of the deuce, as they will require up to the GVW added above 13 or 16 K lbs. Most states recognize the Federal Code being non CDL below 26,001 for personal use, Illinois does not. Otherwise you will be charged for driving out of class as the ISP will look at the data plate and not what you have in it or registered for.....:neutral:

Good luck....

I am not suggesting someone follow what I have done one way or another. I was only explaining what I I ended up with. Regarding the driver's license, in Illinois you can get a non CDL license (Class A, B, C...) depending on the weight of the vehicle you wish to drive and/or whether you are looking to tow a trailer (class varies depending on the combination also). The standard Illinois license is rated for up to 16,000 lbs vehicles. I did speak to the sheriff's department for the community I work (which is also the county sheriff's dept) and was told that driving a 13,000 duece, as long as I did not load it past 16,000 (including passengers...fuel....) I was fine with the standard license. I am only going by what I was told. Obviously I would suggest you verify any information/data yourself. Ultimately I would like to get a 5-ton and will most likely go with weight plates and ugrade my license class accordingly.

Congrats on the truck and I wish you luck registering it and driving it safely!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hanley, nice lookin M1009 in the drive way! Been seein it for some time! Now ya got an A3? Sa-weet!:drool: There is another one out on Rt 150 towards Kickapoo on the right hand side. Glad that you made it here on S.S.! Nice to have another S.Soldier in the area:driver:! WELCOME ABOARD!
God bless,
Tony

hanley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
marchplumber-

my brother was telling me about a DevilDog plumber that works for Reading.......are you one and the same?

HANLEY

6x6guy

One thing you don't want to forget if you add a trailer and any additional weight
within will also be added to your total weight of your trucks weight class.
Several people I know have B plates on their trucks, and if you get caught with
a trailer and lets say a bobcat in tow- a lot of police departments have guys that
have gone to school to enforce such violations, and make a lot of money doing just that- its just a short drive to local weight station - then the big fine.

jammer 999

I to live in ILL, and recovered an a3 from fort McCoy WI, and when I got it home, applied for the sf97 form, waited 35 to 40 days to get it, but the day I did, I went to my local DMV and got title and plates, no problem even without 17 digit VIN. I put H plates on it and already had class C licence, but also have to get safety inspection twice a year, but now im 100% legal to drive, pull, or haul anything, anywhere I choose to without being hassled.

jimm1009

Don't make it too complicated

Don't forget a very simple part of the legal description.

Comercial Vehicle & Commercial Drivers License (CDL)

Personal Vehicle (Privately Owned - Non-Commcercial Usage) Regardless of design & Curb Weight

A CDL is a Federal Requirement followed up on a state level as the state licenses are issued over a federal license such as many European countries.

Federal laws dictate the CDL requirement and while a state can impose more strict guidelines they usually do not.

Example: You can go out and purchase a 5 ton tractor - trailer rig from GL and then license it as a private vehicle without a CDL as it is a private vehicle PROVIDING you do not use it for commercial purposes which means accepting compensation for using your vehicle for others.

Make sure that you actually have to have a license plate to begin with as many states allow the registration of a former MV by using the military VIN in lieu of a plate being issued. Don't take the local state workers word for this as many are not aware of the rule just as many of the LEOs are not aware of the rule either.

Jimm1009

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks