• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New EPA Regulations On Large Truck Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddamsnightmare

May 20th, 2014.

Seems like the comments on the tax system up above, while instructive, do seem to be wondering close to the electrified wire of "political speech". Perhaps we will end up stirring up a moderator, don't you gents think? Once you do that, the thread will be zapped.:gimp:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May 20th, 2014.

Seems like the comments on the tax system up above, while instructive, do seem to be wondering close to the electrified wire of "political speech". Perhaps we will end up stirring up a moderator, don't you gents think? Once you do that, the thread will be zapped.:gimp:
You are correct, I've been stirred and getting my zapper warmed up. :wink:

I'm ok with the thread as long as it stays on topic (I can't speak for other mods). We don't need comments about tax law that has nothing to do with MVs.

Edit- I just went back and looked at a bunch of older post that are full of politics that have nothing to do with the MV hobby. Most of the post are a couple of years old and what's done is done (I don't feel like going through and editing 10 pages of post). From this point forward, keep the post about how new laws affect MVs or the whole thing will be axed.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

You are correct saddamsnightmare preaching about how trains are so much better than trucks sure does sound like "political speech". Would love to see that train pull up to your grocery store.

Bighurt

Would love to see that train pull up to your grocery store.
I believe that's why he retained the comment 40-50 miles, so that locally the stores were serviced by day jobs. Using rail for long haul transport.

The state of Wisconsin owns the rail the Wisconsin Southern runs on and subsidizes the maintenance, in doing so they take a huge portion of truck traffic off the road. If you think about it it takes 6 trucks to move one hopper car worth of material. So not only are you reducing truck traffic but truck emissions and road breakdown. They still use trucks to get the product out of the fields but they can eliminate the trucks moving it to port of call. There is no one perfect system they need to work together.

The thing that bothers me is that Rail aside from a few state subsidized carriers, are owned by companies. Those companies own the track the terminals and the vehicles. They pay taxes on the land the system runs on, to include depot's and freight terminals.

Now think of your favorite trucking company or even better UPS or FedEx. They don't pay tax on the road's they use, those roads are state run or government subsidized. Nor do they pay tax on the land the airport sits on. They are free to build a thriving business not having to pay property tax or Mx cost on the system they rely on.

In 1947 the New York Central RR paid over $6M in property taxes in the state of New York, I doubt FedEx pays close to that in for it's entire system of facilities.

This country's infrastructure is failing because the the people are making decisions without all the right information. I hate hippies, the free love movement was before my time but is definitively not my way. However the freedom of information act was something they got right. Educate yourselves it can only make things better.

EO2NMCB

Bighurt I beg to differ that trucks pay no taxes for the roads, where you came up with that one I'd like to know. Over the road trucks are paying 4-6k per year in road and fuel tax. Ie 2290 is 550 per year then fed fuel tax at the pump is 24 cents per gal, then state tax on top of that is any where from 14 to 36 cents. Then lic plates are 1700 dollars on avg. Give us truckers a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks