• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Inhibit Switch

Chuggin84'

Need HELP! Trying to use a Haynes manual to diagnose a glow pug problem. I know diesel's are hard to start in cold weather, but mine wouldn't even start when it's 35* out. I spent two weeks having my buddies jump me, or push my truck to a stall at the fire station I work at; just to warm my truck up enough to start it. I pulled the glow-plugs and replaced them. I had a buddy come over with a voltmeter and found that I was only getting less than 6V at this GP temp switch/ inhibit switch located on the left rear of my engine. The wire harness lead was carroded and basically fell apart when I was inspecting it. I tried researching the part at O'Reiley's and it kept pulling up a 6 pin configuration. I have a two wire setup. The male end of the plug has a metal band on the outside and a center female metal connector. Does anyone know a part number I can reference from anywhere!! I'll try and attach a pic.

Attachments

idM1028

It's GM part # 10045847. GM parts direct has them for about $30. It is highly advised by the site bully and some others (names will not be mentioned. *cough*cough*Warthog*cough*Doghead*cough) that you download the CUCV TM's which can be found here: JATONKA's CUCV TM* download page If you ever have problems finding parts, the -34P will help you. I simply did a search for "temperature" in the document. The first thing that came up was the GP and temp sensor diagram. Scrolling down, I found a list of the parts in that diagram and their part #'s. Usually the part # in the list is the same as the GM part #. A quick google search and ta da!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Haynes manual is a good basic reference for the engine itself.

When it comes to wiring you need the Technical Manuals that the Government has provided us.

TM 9-2320-289-10 - Basic Operations
TM 9-2320-289-20 - Unit Level Maintenance
TM 9-2320-289-20P - Parts manual
TM 9-2320-289-34 - Direct Support Maintenance
TM 9-2320-289-34P - Parts Manual

The CUCVs are basic Chevy trucks from the mids 1980's Almost every part has a GM part number.

When looking for a part, I like to look at the pictures in the parts manuals, find the corresponding GM part number and then Google that numbers.

Many items are been superceded or they are no longer made.

I also like to take the GM part number and plug it into the NAPAOnline.com website and click the interchange box. Most of the time it will give you a good number.

The part for the Glow Plug Temp switch is 10045847,

2 PAOZZ 70040 10045847 SENSOR,TEMPERATURE INCLUDES 1
ADAPTER FOR TWO TERMINAL SWITCH TO CONNECT TO ONE TERMINAL WIRING

HARNESS

It is an upgrade from the old style swtich to a new style switch

Napa crosses it to TS4015, and a replacement pigtait TSC200
Oreilly's show it as WT3000 and a replacement pigtail of PT191

Looking back at an old thread you can get the original stsyle switch (but you plug is bad) WT5133

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/66739-temperature-sending-unit.html Post #8 and #9

Attachments

Last edited:

top_prop

I'm at a loss why you are zeroing in on the temp switch... I'd need more info to help you. Is the system stock (ie 24v with the step down resister on the fire wall) or has it been 12v bypassed? Have you done any trouble shooting (ie used the TM and followed the troubleshooting procedures there)

top_prop

This, but only to buy you some time to fix your glow plug system correctly. Push button is not that good for your engine. Long term
I've added a manual glow plug switch to my stock GP controller... my suburban has been on a manual only switch for quite a while. With AC60G plugs I don't see how it could be all that bad... lots of marine diesels are set up with just a button... you just have to be smart about it and be sure to push the button longer than you think you'd need it as the ac60G's are self limiting... so you'll have the required heat but won't burn the plugs out (with AC60G's)

Again, I think the standard controller with the push button to ground the light blue wire makes sense... if the controller fails you have a quick bypass to use until you can repair it... if at all.

Chuggin84'

Thanks for the replies. I've got somewhere to start now. I'm going to go through the manuals and see which ones I don't have and download them today. I didn't even think to look in the manuals for the part numbers. I assumed they were military numbers and no one would know what I was talking about. From what I've read on here, there's alot of you guys that have gone to the push button of some sort. I'm not the best a wiring, but I've got buddies that are. Thank you all for the great advise. I've had this truck for about 3 years, and I wish I knew about this site then. I look forward to research more materials from the site. Thanks to all who replied.

Chuggin84'

sweet intake! i just painted mine black.

Thanks! I just had to replace the harmonic balancer and while I had it off, I painted the timing cover, valves covers, intake manifold, and water pump all black. They were all black when I got it, but I listened to someone I shoudn't have and used easy-off oven cleaner instead of engine brite to clean the engine and it took the paint right off of everything. I didn't read the directions that said, do not apply to painted surfaces. Live and learn. This site is awesome. Later days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks