• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 Info

Blind Driver

I'm guessing everyone loves this truck as much as the others :D

Big Cummins power and an auto. Any idea about the differential gears?Fuel mileage is always a concern. Just like to know what to expect.

I'm thinking about bidding on 2 of these and was wondering if there anything specific I should take into consideration. The truck is apparently on an excellant platform. I'll have to have them hauled to me, but that's ok :D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I got right at 6 mpg, running at a easy 65, that is till I tried to suck the botton out of the tank

Blind Driver

What is the top speed?

Tire size? I'm guessing 11R22.5?

Is this a Freightliner chassis? Finding parts easily is priceless

Does this unit have a heater?

Last edited:

Autocar

Does 65 easy, never tried faster than that because red light on speedo turns on at 62 and afraid I may hurt something. Very nice trucks, but bumpy ride unloaded.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does 65 easy, never tried faster than that because red light on speedo turns on at 62 and afraid I may hurt something. Very nice trucks, but bumpy ride unloaded.
Thought so to untill a very knowledgeable person said, na, that is just a warning that you are at what the gov. wants there young drivers to not go over.

the 915 I drove would do 65 easy, 70 with some work, after the tank suck 62 was work (filters) we had 4 915s in the convoy (ZiggyOs), 2 wanted to run and did, 2 did 62 , worked for 65

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Big Cummins power and an auto. Any idea about the differential gears?Fuel mileage is always a concern. Just like to know what to expect.
Fuel milage is between 5-7 MPG depending on how far in the firewall your foot is. You are talking about a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

The spring ride suspension will beat your teeth out. Putting air ride seats made the ride in mine much better....I lucked out and got a set out of a M915A3 that has the Freightliner cab on it.

Most of the M915's being sold now have the Allison 5 speed.

I like the CAT that was in the early ones but getting one repaired can eat your lunch. The ones I drove in the Army that had the CAT in them would run 85MPH if the pump was turned up to 2350.

Tire size on mine is 11 22.5.

The early trucks were built by AM General and certain body and trim parts can be a challenge to find.

They have heat but no factory AC.

I have kits available for putting AC in one.

They are good trucks for what they were built for and can be an inexpensive day cab tractor for various short hauls.

Mine cost me around 4K after repairs, GL's blood money, taxes and getting it towed to the LZ (fuel line needed replacing).

M1075

Gears on M915A1 are 4.33 IIRC. Most I have driven run about 60 MPH stock. Older M915 with CAT 16 speed and higher gears will run much faster. I put super single Goodyear 395/85R20 tires on my M915A1 and normally run about 70-72 mph.

Last edited:

Monkeyboyarmy

The 915's have 4:44 gears and the axles are made by Rockwell. I would assume that the 915A1's would be the same but I just looked at the 915A1 tag and the axle was made by Eaton with no gear ratio.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thousands of miles in an M915A1 during 2004 and 2005 in Iraq! I'm not complaining, but I hang upside-down in an inversion table every morning after I wake up so that I can stand/sit/walk the rest of the day. Maybe the helmet, vest and gear hanging on me along with the washboard roads, but my neck and back are destroyed. I remember my team leader over there saying one day, "You know all of us are going to have back and neck problems if we ever make it out of here."

He was right.

If you run them bob-tail, you are only punishing yourself (and the truck) even more. They have to have a load on them. At least a 45' flat-bed. Stab that brake one time a little to hard even on dry pavement when bob-tailing and the back end will pass the front end in the blink of an eye. Party time!:jumpin:

Somewhere around here there is a thread with some nice pics of M915A1s with civvy dump bodies that look great!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Many thousands of miles in an M915A1 during 2004 and 2005 in Iraq! I'm not complaining, but I hang upside-down in an inversion table every morning after I wake up so that I can stand/sit/walk the rest of the day. Maybe the helmet, vest and gear hanging on me along with the washboard roads, but my neck and back are destroyed. I remember my team leader over there saying one day, "You know all of us are going to have back and neck problems if we ever make it out of here."
That is a Service Connected Disablilty incurred while in a combat zone......if you have not filed a claim with VA do so immediatly.

Years from now it could make the difference between being comfortable and struggling to make a living.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
......if you have not filed a claim with VA do so immediatly.
Yes. I have filled out and submited many "forms" to many individuals. They keep getting "lost" or I am told, "Oh, they told you to submit that to the wrong person/location! You need to fill this out and submit it with _____ and send it to _____."

aua

As crazy as it sounds, I'd rather just hang upside-down every day. :D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oifvet, thanks for posting that picture. If you have more, post them also, please. Combat zone pics of M915's are not that common. And on your spine issues, believe it or not it is possible to heal and regenerate your disks. 5 years ago I was in your situation, debilitating pain, vicotins like candy, etc. 2 spinal injections and no more heavy lifting and today I am pain free. I love to drive my 915, but like you said, always with a trailer.

fasttruck

Remember to A1 is a 915 with a different transmission and built by AM General. The freightliners came later. Mine is box stock and goes 58 miles an hour until it runs out of fuel.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oifvet, thanks for posting that picture. If you have more, post them also, please. Combat zone pics of M915's are not that common.
Not a problem. Thank you. I have many good ones. Subscribe to this thread if you have not, and I will post them as soon as I can. Not in an effort to hi-jack though.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gears on M915A1 are 4.33 IIRC. Most I have driven run about 60 MPH stock. Older M915 with CAT 16 speed and higher gears will run much faster. I put super single Goodyear 395/85R20 tires on my M915A1 and normally run about 70-72 mph.
M1075, What wheels are you using to run these super single tires? Do they fit without any clearance problems? Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks