• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.5's wow what a difference W/10" rim build

sermis

PIC DSC00039 shows the rim with the center removed on the lathe. I could have done it with a torch and grinder but for $20.00 per rim I could not pass it up.

loosewrenchcowboy

i invisted about $3,000 in making my rims. it was years ago, before everybody else started using the 16.00x20's. back then i couldn't find anybody that had a set. had em shipped from georgia to michigan. i bought super single rims(i believe), machined them out on a big lathe. I would never recommend using a torch, the heat tends to warp them. i used a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch plate steel to make the centers on a cnc machine. had the new centers normalized and surface ground to assure they were perfectly flat. set it all up on the cnc machine, tack welded the centers in place. mounted a tire and cycled the suspension. took a couple tries to get the offset correct with full suspension travel. when it was all good i took all the rims to a liscensed DOT wheel repair and manufacturing shop to have it all put together so it would be legal. the balance is great, no balancing needed up to 70 mph( i am afraid to go any faster, but it will). i did this for 5 tires, as i only have 2 axles. lot of $$$, and work. but well worth it!! i am trying to figure out how to reduce the size of my pics so i can post some. sorry

SuperJoe

i dont understand a few things here. i have read this whole thread and am now wondering what the surplus flaps are. also i dont know what size the tires that are being mentioned here. i have always known tire size by the tall from the side ie 44s are 44 inches tall. i have had my m35 a2 for less than a week now so i read this and then go look at mine for what is going on in conversation. where are the rivets on the wheels?

ida34

We just did a thread on tire sized and how to convert them to how tall the tire is. The problem with just look at how tall a tire lies in the fact that you do not know how wide the tire is. Older rims had the center riveted in while newer ones are welded in.

sermis

I just made 4 rims for my bobber truck. This time I used riveted center rims for the added 3" and welded center rims for the host rim. I cut the centers out and then cut each rivet one by one. Worked really good and did not have any balance issues when I was done.

frodobaggins

I just made 4 rims for my bobber truck. This time I used riveted center rims for the added 3" and welded center rims for the host rim. I cut the centers out and then cut each rivet one by one. Worked really good and did not have any balance issues when I was done.
Pics !

jesusgatos

What's the best way to cut the center-sections out of the riveted wheels? Torch? Drill? Grind? Pound? All of the above? I just bought a bunch of riveted wheels, and I'm thinking about flipping the center-sections. I'm only running 11.00 radials, so I don't need to widen the wheels. I just flipped the hubs and would like to regain a little bit of that lost track-width. Looks like flipping the center-sections will move each wheel about 5.5" further out. Does that sound about right? It's a bit wider than I want/need, but I don't see any way to make a stock-width wheel with an offset in between stock / flipped.

jesusgatos

OK, thanks. I don't want to widen these wheels though. The 11.00 Firestone T831 radials I'm running are supposed to be mounted on 7.5-8" wide wheels. If I could run 10-10.5" wheels, I just get some modified HEMTT's. But someone posted a picture of an 11.00 radial mounted on one of those and it was a big no-go.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................................... Looks like flipping the center-sections will move each wheel about 5.5" further out. Does that sound about right?
Yes, almost... see dimensions below.

G.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should start a new thread about flipping the dish. I am going to be doing this soon and it would be nice to have the info all in one place.

jesusgatos

You're too much G. Thanks again. Looks like the quick measurements I took yesterday were pretty close. I figured I'd end up with about 1/2" offset, and it looks like I can probably cheat another 1" out of them by cutting off some of the rivet flange on the center-section and welding it further out on the shell. The other thing I'm looking into is buying some 7.5-8" shells and just welding the center-sections into a new set of one-piece wheels. Would be nice to get rid of those tubes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks