• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need information about this 1941 GMC

Bill W

If your serious about selling it please contact me as I think I know someone who might be very interested.

Last edited:

zout

Welcome to the site BTW - not only did ya do good on your first post you posted pictures right off the bat.

Did anyone notice when us Georgia members sign in we do it right the first time :mrgreen:.

Sure looking forward to seeing some pictures of that unit and the interior as well - now that is definately worth refurbishing.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

That's quite a rare truck you have there. The CF 351, or K18 in Signal Corps parlance, was used as a transmitting and receiving station, and was used with the trailer in the attached photo. The body was by the Hicks Body Company of Lebanon Indiana. If it still has the original engine it will be a GMC 248 ci overhead valve six with a 4 speed transmission. According to Fred Crismon's "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles" the Army took delivery of 258 K18's in 1941, and 109 in 1942. The attached photo is from the Life Magazine Collection.

Attachments

tirediron2

My K18C GMC C.O.E.

I have a much modified K18C that started life as a communications van built by Hicks School Bus and Body Company. They built specialized bodies for the military (K18C communications vans) in about 1939-1941. My K18C bore a door plate "Quartermaster Corps, General motors Trucks, Manufacturers Serial Number 079 Gross Weight 9800 Date Of Delivery 10/1/41, Yellow Truck & Coach Mfg. (GMC), 10/1/41, Truck K-18C, model-CF 351, 1 1/2 Ton (LC) 4x2, model CF (1941 yr, "F" =C. O. E.). Embossed on under hood plate 3/8" x 2,5", 1585- 097, another solid brass plate "ENGINE SERIAL NO, 24821530", painted over on bullnose (olive drab under color), "GOLDEN BOMBER". I have had limited success researching its history but have accumulated some information and pictures of restored and unrestored K18's. Mine will never be restored to its original state because it is too modified. I'm not sure where or when it was first modified but I found it in Mina, Nevada near the Hawthorne Ammunition Depot leading me to speculate it was modified there to handle ordinance movement on the depot accounting perhaps for its moniker, "Golden Bomber", As I understand it consisted of the tractor and a trailer combination accounting perhaps for it being equipped with air trailer brakes. I am respectful of its hard working life, first in the military, then as a civilian "spring service" vehicle and finally to supply some power for a mining operation!

Attachments

Last edited:

stinsonb17

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post. I forgot my password and besides that, I'm old.
I am definitely serious about selling my 1941 GMC. If you still know someone who might be interested, please reply to this post. I've got my password written down this time and will be checking the forum more often now.
Thanks for your help.
Bill

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I don't know how I missed this thread but another CAMO Member met stinsonb17 after having lunch at a diner. They got to talking about our members MB Jeep which he was driving and one thing led to another and I bought the K18-C GMC CF351 today.

The vehicle is rough but is too complete to be scrapped. Looks like about all that's missing is the front grill guard, seats, and the weapons repair/maintenance stuff from the back.

I plan to recover the vehicle as soon as possible after Christmas.

I made some good pics today but I'll be darned if I can get them downloaded to the laptop from my phone...my desk top computer went tits up today for some reason!

I'll prolly start another thread when we do the recovery and start the process of bringing her back to life.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cool is that! Does it say "Lee's Restaurant Perry GA" on the side? Seems like a certain outstanding Steelsoldiers member is from Perry GA.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
How cool is that! Does it say "Lee's Restaurant Perry GA" on the side? Seems like a certain outstanding Steelsoldiers member is from Perry GA.

Actually it does say something about Perry GA...don't remember what though.

Come on and be a good troop....whatta ya know about this truck?

tirediron2

I made some good pics today but I'll be darned if I can get them downloaded to the laptop from my phone...my desk top computer went tits up today for some reason!

I'll prolly start another thread when we do the recovery and start the process of bringing her back to life.
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! My K18C has lost most of its Military Livery so I'm not a good source for that. My "Golden Bomber" has had a hard working life so she will never be in uniform again but I am hopeful her cab will see another life on a more modern chassis. I am an avid "inliner" so I would like to see her 248 as a warmed up 302 with a 5 speed in a late GM P30 chassis. That means her chassis and running gear will be available to anyone restoring a sibling truck. When I thought I have would bring her to life I accumulated some mechanical parts that are surplus now. I have accumulated as well some manua;s and photos of K18C's I have "lusted" for that I would be happy to share. Hope you will share pics of her recovery.

Good luck, glad it has been rescued!

Bill
Gardnerville, NV 89460

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

Congratulations! My K18C has lost most of its Military Livery so I'm not a good source for that. My "Golden Bomber" has had a hard working life so she will never be in uniform again but I am hopeful her cab will see another life on a more modern chassis. I am an avid "inliner" so I would like to see her 248 as a warmed up 302 with a 5 speed in a late GM P30 chassis. That means her chassis and running gear will be available to anyone restoring a sibling truck. When I thought I have would bring her to life I accumulated some mechanical parts that are surplus now. I have accumulated as well some manua;s and photos of K18C's I have "lusted" for that I would be happy to share. Hope you will share pics of her recovery.Good luck, glad it has been rescued!
Bill
Gardnerville, NV 89460[/QUOTE]

Bill, I'll be watching for anything anyone has for this truck but I will start a new thread when we begin the recovery mission. Please PM me any info/anything you think I can use Sir and we will certainly talk about it.
It's beginning to look like they are sorta rare.

M715VFD405

Count me in on this one I love the look of the old COE's and I was planning on getting a 1943 K54 signal corp truck but the owner wouldn't get back with me. This one sure looks pretty. Good luck!!

Carlo

Well you have found your self on the right site. There are hundreds of brothers who have knowledge to find, fix anything.
That truck is rare. I thought I have seen everything till I saw yours. Welcome to the site.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I just talked to stinsonb17 and it's STILL to wet to even attempt a recovery. The truck is located about a half mile off the main road and the road leading to it is slick when wet.

He will call me as soon as he thinks we can safely recover the K18-C.....and maybe I can find my my camera by then or break down and buy another one.
(That's two in less than a year!!)

bigugh20

I think we just need constant coverage of PB, maybe a reality show of sorts. But somehow I think that maybe "I can't find my camera" is just part of the covert ops that make up a day in the life of the CAMO leadership. Very interesting......

Oldfart

Is it possible there are two different wheel bases to this particular 4x2 cab and body configuration? It is next to impossible to find specifications on the 1.5 ton GMC COE.

M715VFD405

I have seen a few wheel bases for the COE's in my searches the longest being the stake bed and fire trucks and the shortest being the 5th wheel. I've also seen the "mid sized" one under ones like this van, tow trucks and wreckers. I'm not sure what the dimensions are but I'm sure they are somewhere out there.
normal_K-33_flatbed_truck.jpg639.jpg111120101546.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks