• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

ke5eua

....that is not the 5ton tow bar people use to tow 5tons with other 5tons?
I haven't upgraded chrome with the sarcasm plugin yet, lol

No, it is the heavy tow bar, notice how it doesn't extend, and has what looks like handles on it. The handles hold the pins for the feet. I will tow a 5 ton, and you won't break it if you tried.

I've only seen one break and it wasn't due to metal fatigue, it was operator error, 80 tons doesn't like to stop on a dime going down hill very easily. This is why you have another 88 or tank with tow cables to aid in stoping the dead tank to avoid turing one of these into a pretzel.

Last edited:

ke5eua

Well bleep...I bid with out knowing all details I guess...damm..I wanted the med one I think. well what are these worth if I want to sell it :/
You got a good price for what you got compared to ebay and surplus sites.

When you go to get it, forklift it, don't man handle it, it will only lead you into the hospital for a hernia. If you have any tow straps, wrap the tow straps around it and lift it that way so you have a way of either dragging it out or lifting it out with a boom, or forklift.

As far as what they are realistically worth, it is a buyers market really. They are good for het owners as a medium it right at it's max with a het, and the military is suppose to use the heavys for het and mraps.

ke5eua

it turned out amazing! so what is this thing weigh?
According to the tow bar smart book, no i'm not kidding.

U.S. ARMY HEAVY DUTY TOW BAR
NSN: 4910-01-267-2912
WEIGHT: 300 LBS.
LENGTH WITHOUT ADAPTER: 88 IN
CAPACITY: 112,000 LBS (weight of M88A1)
END ITEM: M88A1 (HEMTT AAL)

U.S. ARMY MEDIUM DUTY TOW BAR
NSN: 4910-01-554-7296
WEIGHT: 140 LBS.
LENGTH WITHOUT ADAPTER: 89 IN
CAPACITY: 65,000 LBS (Retracted)
CAPACITY EXTENDED UNKNOWN
END ITEM: MTV

Here is the smart book:
https://safety.army.mil/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=F9zv0mK2_ok=&tabid=654

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well bleep...I bid with out knowing all details I guess...damm..I wanted the med one I think. well what are these worth if I want to sell it :/
The bar itself is worth about $180. The feet if they're the 1.5" feet are worth about $60. If they're the 1" feet (scarce) they're worth about $180 themselves. I looked at the gl ad and can't tell which feet you have.

Many people would prefer the heavy bar over the adjustable medium. Overkill is good. As for me, I prefer the m113 bars: over kill and stiff, while still being at least marginally manageable. (Disclaimer: I've been trying to sell m113 towbars).

KaiserM109

I got my '84 M923A1 with 18,000 miles emissions tested and was told "It's sure a clean old girl!" Then I had the VIN inspected and found out that GL screwed up the VIN on the SF-97. Another 30 days waiting on paperwork!!

Carlo

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgToday I re installed my radiator on my M923A1 today. I had it patched and pressure tested so it's good to go. I had no one to help me but I used my new over head crane.

elkhtr

Upgrades

New horns, keyed door handles, lollipop lights, new smaller diameter air filter.
overhauling the air dryer next.
Anybody replaced their horns with upgrades?
These things would cause pain when tested with my shop air(120 psi)
Once installed in the truck, not near as impressive.
maybe a flow issue with the stock solenoid valve?
I didn't put a pressure gage on the air supply line, but I assumed it would receive full pressure from the truck.
Now if my garage door would only open a little more.

Attachments

Moosemcnally

New horns, keyed door handles, lollipop lights, new smaller diameter air filter.
overhauling the air dryer next.
Anybody replaced their horns with upgrades?
These things would cause pain when tested with my shop air(120 psi)
Once installed in the truck, not near as impressive.
maybe a flow issue with the stock solenoid valve?
I didn't put a pressure gage on the air supply line, but I assumed it would receive full pressure from the truck.
Now if my garage door would only open a little more.
Doesn't the ppv valve gate that pressure down to 65psi?

zout

I got it pulled down to the garage and fired up the Onan 2800 Micro lite generator - got the shoreline plugged in - changed the sheets on the DOUBLE BED - rinsed the holding tank and fresh water tanks. Fired up the on demand hot water heater to test it in the shower inside along with the sink.
Made sure both 24v refrigerators were at top peak along with the microwave.

7 Deep cycle batteries up at full charge to head out to Stone Mountain Campground this coming weekend with our 4 grandsons before they have to head back to school. - I hear a vicious rumor Ron and Wife and daughter are coming down Sat night for some breathtaking steaks over the grille and sit around and BS and see who can tell the most lies.
Pics to come.DSCN0364.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks