• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Wagon Ambulance...

rdixiemiller

RE: It Is Home...

This was likely a Govt. contract ambulance for the various military bases. Eglin AFB in Fla used to have some Dodge truck ambulances in the 1969-70 era. I can remember being on the flightline with my Dad in Montivideo Uruguay in 1968, we were driving around in an AF blue Dodge 4 door pickup. I was just a kid, but I remember looking at the brass data tags on the dash and asking what they all meant.
I have seen IHC 1600-1800 series trucks that were all civvy except for data tags. I drove an 1967 1800 tandem that had been a flightline tanker tractor at Eglin. The company I worked for had bought it and put a 12 yd. dump box on it. 392 4V, 5 speed main and a 3 speed auxiliary tranny. Really low gearing, 6.20:1 and 1000x20's. Air brakes all around, still had the data tags on the dash.

N1265

Here is a picture I took at a Range neer Barbers Point Naval Air Station in Hawaii around 1986. ( I Can't remember the name of the range )

It has NAVY Markings......

I can't remember if it was 4WD, But I am pretty sure it was a stick.

Notice the front rims, fender emblems and how high it sits :roll:

Attachments

odjeeper

Very Interesting...

Citizensoldier - Man you're mean sounding, just be sure to think it through very thoroughly if you are feeling inclined to shoot at me or try to ram my truck, it could be hazardous to one's health to attempt such things. Maybe I should repaint it back to it's original color...white, just like the photo N1265 posted, heck, I could just about recreate that photo, have a Mule also.
rdixiemiller - I think you are correct about it probably being a contract for base uses, have seen plenty of such examples. There used to be lots of civilian style vehicles at all the bases in the 60s, 70s and 80s, from Chrysler Reliants, to I-H 1800s used for various purposes. Was just curious if anyone had researched this particular contract since it so closely preceded the adoption of the M880 series.
N1265 - I'll bet my ambulance looked pretty similar to the one in your photo, since it appears mine was origianlly white. The one in your photo appears to have a Budd style front wheel which would indicate dual rears, while mine has single rears and disc-style wheels.
I am sure impressed with all the responses received here on Steel Soldiers, have posted similar requests about this truck on several boards and have not had near the interest as here. Want to thank everyone who has taken the time to add something to this thread, it has been helpful for my understanding of this trucks place in MV history.

citizensoldier

RE: Very Interesting...

Me mean nahhh. Just happens when I see red man..I always think things through.. Hazardous to my health you say.. No worries I have a pretty good health plan never failed me before. Complete coverage on the truck and ocupants...
just ribbing you a little, but I guess you cant take it. I will retire from this post. Its boring anyway.

N1265

ODJEEPER,

I think the truck that I posted was a dually ( if my memory is right ) .... However I can not swear to it.

I remember taking the picture because of the MULE, It was the only one that I saw while on active duty from 1984 - 1988.

If I knew then that I would someday restore a M880 I would of taken a lot more pictures of them. I would love to have the one you got even if it is red.

Also, I see you are from Grayling Mi..... I spent a lot of time up there while in the reserves.

odjeeper

Very Cool Stuff...

Citizensoldier - I understood you were being amusing, thought I was also, guess something was lost in the translation somewhere....
N1265 - I think the W400 BobH posted is probably the same model as the one you photographed. They both have the Budd wheels and the same angled cut on the body behind the rear wheels, the 886 is like mine and comes back flat for a ways, then angles up. The dual rear wheels makes good sense with the weight of the ambulance body, when driving mine home the other day, you sure knew there was a load on the rear end and it does not have the litter racks or anything. I'll bet that the original paint on mine was white and very similar to the later W400s though. Yes, I am near Grayling and organize a fall trail ride for historic MVs on the tank trails around the Camp every year. 2007 will be our 15th year for the event, which will take place the latter part of September.

N1265

RE: Very Cool Stuff...

Yea I thought about taking the M880 up there this year but had to work.

What's up with having to be a member with the club. ( or at least I thought there was some sort of membership required )

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter

odjeeper

Trail Ride Info...

N1265 - BobH is absolutely correct on this, because the event is held on public land controlled jointly by the Army National Guard and the Michigan Dept of Natural Resources, we are required to obtain permission from both agencies. The DNR requires us to obtain an events permit from them with a provision we carry an insurance policy with at least $1 million of liability coverage and the Guard permission is also contingent upon such a policy. As you may know, the world of insurance underwriters is a tricky place with all sorts of attorneys working long shifts to make the wording as tight as possible to avoid having to pay out on judgements. As such the only insurance policies we have been able to find, within any sort of reasonable cost, for vehicle events are designed for car shows. These policies are designed for static displays and are worded as such that only members of the sponsoring organizations are covered in the case of accidents with moving vehicles, thus the requirement that all attendees be members or the immediate family member (spouse or dependant child) of said member. The only other insurance policy we have found is designed for race events and the premiums for such a policy are absolutely cost prohibitive for us, unless we could find some large corporate sponsors....

citizensoldier

RE: Food for thought OD!

Knew you would want it Bob!! Only 12 G buy it now price!! Come on its a great Christmas present for yourself... Would love to see this sucker on the trail ride! Love the double rear Michilens... Would be a hard rig to stop but would'nt be fun trying to get it stuck... rofl

odjeeper

Red Is Cool!!!

As someone who's first truck as a teenager was fire engine red with black trim, I have a certain fondness for the color scheme. The truck Citizensoldier posted does not seem like an unreasonable price at all, just try to find a 1-ton truck with 13K miles for that amount of money, let alone a 4x4, banks are happy to loan funds for vehicles you know. I'm not a fan of that amount of lift, but to each their own, it would unbolt easy enough, then you could put those tires on an M37 and M116 trailer.

N1265 - We will forward to seeing you in September.

eagle1963

M886 Dodge Power wagon

I have a 1977 M886 Dodge Power Wagon that I traded a 1988 Ford F-150 extended cab XLT Lariat with 240,000 miles for. It has automatic transmission, full time 4x4, and 318 engine. The odometer shows a little over 9000 miles on it. There is a note written on the driver's door that says original odometer 29,000 miles. I plan on converting it to a camper. From what I have been told and read, there were less than 4000 of these made. Out of the 4000, 400 were 4x4, out of the 400, 50 were NATO. I have read this from several different places. If anyone has anymore info on these vehicles please email me.

N1265

RE: M886 Dodge Power wagon

sounds Great and welcome to the site . I would think more than 400 were 4WD but Bob H. might have more info about the M886s, I know he has had a couple of them.

got any picks ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks