• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Part number correction for *better* fitting belts

M1008driver

Dayco didn't like the 15573 part # so I went with:

Replacement Auto Belt for:
NAPA nbh 25-7575 or nbh 257575
Gates 7575 Auto V-Belt XL or
Dayco 15575
The other belts you list are GTG

Tested and Recommended P/N's
Pass side alt: 15480 (same AZ's P/N for a civvy 6.2)
Driver's side alt: 15573 (It fits)
P/S pump 15445 (Same as AZ's P/N for a civvy 6.2)
I also ordered some belts from RockAuto trying to get the Gatorbacks and they substituted my order. They sent the right numbers, just not what I wanted. Even finding GoodYear belts online was difficult. I will keep them for emergencies. I used Auto Parts Warehouse this time and changed to Dayco.

cucv1833

Dayco didn't like the 15573 part # so I went with:

The other belts you list are GTG

I also ordered some belts from RockAuto trying to get the Gatorbacks and they substituted my order. They sent the right numbers, just not what I wanted. Even finding GoodYear belts online was difficult. I will keep them for emergencies. I used Auto Parts Warehouse this time and changed to Dayco.
I went with the gatorbacks.
One thing I would recommend is get them asap.
It looks like no one is carrying them any more and the only way I could find them was ordering online .. (I think from rockauto) and thier stock was noted as basically 'untill what we have is gone'.
I followed the advice to go one size smaller on one of the belts and they all fit just fine.
PS belt was a little difficult to get tight, and I still plan to re-tighten it at some point.
I just ordered the GATOR BACKS from "Summit Racing" in stock
I studied what was mentioned in this thread and whats in the WIKI that I have used before and this is what I got.

Gatorbacks Goodyear
Pass-15491- 48.5"
Driver- 15581-57.5"
P/S - 15461- 45.5"

There smaller than whats in the WIKI and a little Bigger than what MATT1031 posted. I will report back once I install them It may be a week or two.

My belts are in good shape now but I plan on installing a new Harmonic balancer so while im in there I will istall the New Gator backs and keep the other 3 as spares.

Stonepicker1

I'm running Gatorbacks on my 3 CUCV's with no problems. The adjustment bolt (driver and pass side)is sitting midway on the bracket.

Gatorbacks Goodyear
Pass-15491- 48.5"
Driver- 15581-57.5"
P/S - 15461- 45.5"

Midnight Rider

Well this sucks. I've already picked up what was listed in the Wiki. I haven't used them yet. I guess I will go back to Napa and try to swap them out to the smaller ones.

Stonepicker1

I just replaced the belts on one of my M1009(wife's truck) last week. I had trouble with the Driver's side- 15581 being a little tight. The old belt was 15585 and was maxed out.2cents

I had to bump the starter to get the belt on.

Gatorbacks Goodyear
Pass-15491- 48.5"
Driver- 15581-57.5"
P/S - 15461- 45.5"

amgeneral72

These belt part #'s are listed elsewhere on SS but I would discourage using them. Both alternator belts will be on the far/long side of adjustment. The 15455 P/S pump belt is too long IMO and cannot be properly tightened if it's stretched or worn even the slightest bit. These are the sizes that were installed (now removed) on my 1031.
Not reccomended P/N's:
· Driver side alt- Gates# 7575; Dayco# 15580
· Passenger side alt- Gates# 7483; Dayco# 15490
· Power Steering- Gates# 7448; Dayco#15455

EDIT on 3/11: Gates/Napa 7575 for driver's side alt is a good p/n and fits well, only 15580 is not recommended
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following part numbers are from Autozone's computer for an '86 K30 with 6.2

Alternator (pass side) Dayco 15480
P/S pump Dayco 15445

Notice a pattern? Autozone's P/N's are for shorter belts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested and Recommended P/N's
Pass side alt: 15480 (same AZ's P/N for a civvy 6.2)
Driver's side alt: 15573 (It fits)
P/S pump 15445 (Same as AZ's P/N for a civvy 6.2)

The belts that I listed as preferred are pretty much the bare minimum length. All three will all have to be "rolled on" by turning the crank with a long handled 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar even with the brackets fully loosened. You will also *need* a Lisle 12400 belt tensioning tool because with the shorter belts there's no room for the field-expedient prybar method of tightening. The shorter belts are more involved and difficult to install, but on the positive side - you'll never run out of adjustment and run much quieter than the longer p/n belts.

Auto Belt Cross Reference. Gates Napa Dayco Auto Belt Cross Reference
Note: Autozone's "Valucraft" line use Dayco P/N's

Installed new belts on the M1008 per these part#'s. They were tight but work well.

48cj2a

Changed all 3 belts yesterday with Oreilly's House Brand - Master Pro:

· Driver side alt - 7575
· Passenger side alt - 7483
· Power Steering - 7455

P/S belt was a little stubborn - all seem to be just slightly before midpoint on adjustment. Under $15 with Mil Discount total.

cucvrus

WOW what a deal. I tend to change the belts in the parking lot at Autozone and get them so they are tight as can be. I do NOT let my CUCV squeal after starting. I found that 2 different trucks took 2 different size belts. i have solid pulleys on my alternators. They tend to make the belts last longer. The stamped metal ones get hot faster and wear away at the belts.

cstarbard

I'd just like to add this in case it is useful to anyone-

I just replaced all my belts today, on my 1028

For O'Reilly fans, I used the following three belts and they were a great fit:

Masterpro 7450, for PS pump,

Masterpro 7575, driver side alt belt,

Masterpro 7485, passenger side alt belt

These are made like the goodyear gatorback belts so they run pretty quiet, and they are only $6.99 ea! They are also just a tad shorter than all respective Gates belts listed in the original post up top, which was helpful because before I was maxed out on adjustment for the driver side alt.

Chris

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read thru this thread, warthog mentioned it in a post but it got me thinking. The belt on the drivers side alt. is a bit long using the recommended belt where the passenger side is fine, very frustrating because I always want to know why. I took a caliper out and measured the outside diameter of the alternator sheaves. The passenger alternator sheave appears to be original stamped construction and is 78mm approx. in diameter, where the drivers alternator sheave is solid steel construction and measures 68mm approx. in diameter. The smaller sheave has a shorter circumference which requires full adjustment to get it tight enough even when new. I am sure this is why one Gen light needs a "throttle blip" to go out. In my case I think I will get two solid steel sheaves of the correct diameter so the standard belts work and the alternators are both spinning at the same RPM. I also curious to see if the volt meter reading changes with both alternators spinning at the same speed.

cucvrus

I said this a hundred times. Take the truck to the parts store and walk in and out and get a set of belts that fit tight and adjust from there. If I have to use a wrench to get the belt on I am happy. It gives me years of adjustment. And the pulleys being that close to size will make no difference in the charge rate. These alternators charge about the same at idle as they do when maxed out in RPM's. That is my observation over the years. I haven't driven a CUCV in 3 weeks. Not missing it but after 25 years of driving them the thrill is gone.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far a comfort goes the CUCV leaves a lot to desired but when the weather is cold, wet or snowy/icy the CUCV starts up and drives through it. I love my Corvette but a 1/4" of snow and it tries to be a crappy snowplow with all the road holding ability of a hockey puck. Also older diesels are so very tolerant sitting for extended periods of time, the fuel does not go "bad" in six months and a solar charger keeps the battery up if the system is maintained properly. Best part is camo is very forgiving for minor dents and dings that winter weather brings on. It also looks great dressed up for the Christmas season with a wreath with LED lights on the brush guard, it really sets off the woodland camo paint job. They are not modern, but they have their place, snow in this area is rarely real bad but I don't cringe when I have to drive in it feeling bad about trashing $50K to $70K or more vehicles with dirty winter sludge. Others will differ with my view-point but I tested positive for the cheap gene so I have an excuse, LOL. As to the alternator sheaves, I went through my spare alternators that I need to get rebuilt and found a matching stock sheave that will go on and should take the slop out of the drivers side alternator belt.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sheave diameter/belt size difference.

Back to the cucv belt size, I was curious as to the sheave diameter difference and what it does to the belt size, just the difference in the two mismatched sheaves I have on my alternators is about 1-1/4" difference in circumference and that much shorter belt length and a tighter turn for the belt to make around the sheave which will shorten its life as well. I look forward to how this will work out in the real world, will I even notice the difference? Perhaps I should clean the windows as well so as cucvrus pointed out I may perceive an increase in horsepower and better mileage. LOL. I remember many years ago during the first "gas crisis" in the 70's where everyone was really freaking out about gas mileage for the first time and there were an endless gimmicks on the market that claimed to improve gas mileage, I read in a magazine where the writer claimed to have installed every one available and the only problem he had was the need to pull over occasionally to drain off the excess fuel building up in his tank..................:cookoo: Your Mileage May Vary, but I remember laughing out loud way back then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks