• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tool box

scottjhl

Hey I was just wondering what everyone had in their tool kit.

IE what wrenches do you have, in what sizes and so on.

I searched page upon page, however found nothing that I was looking for.

I know the basic tools, however just wanted to know what the other SS members were using and had in their box (what double tools and so on). And where you all keep them is also useful.

Thanks guys!

(my m109a3 is soo close i can feel it...)

Clay James

I carry a toolbox with the socket for the hubs, breaker bar, torque wrench, duck tape, electrical tape, screw drivers, and a few other thigns, also glad hand tire inflation setup, bottle jack and a wrench kit and lug wrenches. That fills up the toolbox pretty well. It's also a good idea to carry spare fuel filters.

59apache

Chipmaker
the same
+
hammer, punches, hose clamps, adjustable wrench (good one!), wire crimper, connectors, shrinking hose, test lamp, misc. pliers, wire cutter.

thats the box for closer distances....

for longer trips:
+
welding rods (good for many things), small gas torch, solder, solder paste, fuel hoses, radiator hoses, screws, washers, filters, hand cleaner (fast orange...), towel :mrgreen:,

thats it.

My plan is to carry a compliment of air tools and a bottle of air too oil, with a gladhand hose and a quick disconnect coupler for tire chuck, and other air tools. as well as all the other tools mentioned. I also plan to carry a small mig welder and generator, and have a bench vise mounted on my front bumper at the left frame rail. I'll be the go-to-guy when someone breaks something on the trail. (or if ya want a hand rail made for your front porch) :mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cell phone, towbar and credit card. It helps having a good compliment of SS members numbers on hand.

Lots of the above + emergency flares, chains, tow ropes, shackles, wheel chocks, flashlight, grease/grease gun, pry bar, really big hammer, jack stands, WD-40, and a fire extinguisher.

Darwin T

doubles of the larger size wrenches (1/2", 3/4", 1" ect). 1/2" sockets (up to 1"). 3/8" sockets (smaller sizes). 2 5 gallon jerry cans of motor oil (motor oil or emergency fuel). a couple of cans of "fix a flat" for emergeny use only (i try not to use it but if i need it its there). 2 to 4 spare tires on long trips. 24 volt impacts, torque multiplier, 20 ton jack, jack stands and cribbing timbers of various lengths (4x6). jug of antifreeze and 3 gallon bottles of distilled water.

something i don't have onboard yet a complete set of filters with and extra primary filter (incase of bad fuel).

but the most important is my cell phone with my mechanics phone number on speed dial. i also carry my laptop and wireless air card for internet access (i don't have a smart phone i just have a cell phone)

there was a thread like this a year or two ago but for CUCVs.

59apache

Chipmaker
torque multipliers are great!

16mm wire rope...shackles, warning triangle,

and a warning light like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYsrZBivKw[/media]

Thrust

I keep my insurance and registration in a water-proof bag along with a lot of the tools mentioned above. In case someone evil takes the copies I have in the cab area.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoy reading these threads. By the time we get past the first page there are folks toting every part on the truck and a full shop in a trailer. I've been guilty of the same. On a 2003 trip I brought an entire spare truck on trip that spannef 2568 miles.

steelandcanvas

All the usual common hand tools, but something I haven't seen mentioned yet, a set of tubing (flare nut) wrenches. I helped a few Members out of a jam having those in my toolbox. Another item I found useful is a length of wire they use for supporting T-Bar ceilings. Stiff and strong, yet pliable enough to use as tie wire.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the usual common hand tools, but something I haven't seen mentioned yet, a set of tubing (flare nut) wrenches. I helped a few Members out of a jam having those in my toolbox. Another item I found useful is a length of wire they use for supporting T-Bar ceilings. Stiff and strong, yet pliable enough to use as tie wire.
Good point. On a not so recent adventure where Devilman96 and myself fetched 2 deuces and an M1009 we had a plastic fuel line rupture. Mike had a good assortment of compression fittings and we were able to get back on the road lickety split. Did I mention that the breakdown occurred at 0-dark thirty?

HASSON1911

Air wrench, air jack, air tool oil, chains, safty triangles, socket sets, pry bar, 5 gal. of oil and anti-freeze, blocking, clevises strech rope. I figured a truck with an air supply why do all that manul labor for changing a tire, when you can just let air tools do it,

Good point. On a not so recent adventure where Devilman96 and myself fetched 2 deuces and an M1009 we had a plastic fuel line rupture. Mike had a good assortment of compression fittings and we were able to get back on the road lickety split. Did I mention that the breakdown occurred at 0-dark thirty?
I saw the plastic lines on these trucks. What are they made of? Polytethylene?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks