• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

excessive black smoke and started to overheat

rednckii

Drove the deuce to work this morning all good no problems let it idle for 5-7 minutes and shut her down. Well when i went to start her up this afternoon she just didnt sound right like it had a rattle in it,wasnt that bad so away i went. I immediatly noticed that it was just pouring out the black smoke regardless of rpm obviously more at the higher end. While i was noticing this also noticed my temp gauage creaping over the 200 mark goin up steady. Lucky it is only a 7mile drive but in va beach traffic. Made it home with no issues other than the smoke and running hot. What should i be looking for going to change fuell filters and check air filter. Any other suggestions checked oil and it still looked good when cools down gonna check radiator. Also was leaking antifreeze out of the radiator cap now what do i do.

DieselBob

Do you have a EGT or boost gauge ?. Sounds like maybe the turbo took a dump. Might remove the inlet pipe and see if the compressor wheel spins free. 2cents

rednckii

Was coming out of exhaust if turbo took a dump picked a good time to do it have a Whistler in the mail.roflI will check when get a chance thanks

rednckii

Just checked the turbo it spins freely no i do not have an egt or boost gauge bought truck from fire dept through drmo have not turned up the fuel at all. Has been running great than this been mainly city driving with highway about every other trip for at least 15 minutes.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think I would find what cause the Rattle. Push rod or rocker arm or ?
The injectors can be heard with a screw driver and should have a chrisp pop or click to them and all sound close to the same. If you lost a tip well you know.

rednckii

Well finally got time to work on it installed new fuel filters all the way around and put the Whistler in. Still missing not blowing as much smoke it seems any ideas i listened to the injectors and they all sounded the same. Took two out and they work find might do same to rest if get any more time. My neighbor said the timing may be off any suggestions on that would really like to drive my truck again. Working this weekend so not sure when be able to get at it again but im awaiting for any ideas on what to check an how thanks.

lawdog1623

on a second note, you would probably want to pull all of the injectors to ensure they are all ok. I had a 6.0 liter ford with problems. It would start and run, but it blew hella black smoke. It would run all day long, but when you turned it off it wouldnt start back up. i ended up having to pull all the injectors out, just to be sure. I ended up finding two others that needed to be replaced. Once you tear into the fuel delivery system, you need to follow it as far back as it goes and at least inspect it for any additional problems. good luck.