• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comparing m101a3 and m1101

tracerbow

Hey folks, nice forum you have here. New here but been lurking a few days.

I am considering a utility trailer and after some research have narrowed it down to either a 101a3 or the 1101/1102. I understand the 1101/1102 tend to be more expensive, but I am attracted to the wider bed to a certain degree. Thinking it would lend itself to hauling 4 x 8 sheet materials and easier to fit an Quad ATV in between the wheel wells. Also understand the load capacity is greater in the 1101/1102, though even the 101a series would be enough capacity for my needs.

Anyone have thoughts one way or the other? I may want to lower the ride height with smaller rims or tires; would this be easier to do with one of the models than the other?

Also, assuming I buy one thru Gov Liq, do most people tow their purchase home or take down a flat-bed and haul it home? I can't seem to find much info on that and it concerns me as most of the models are located quite a distance from my area.

Thanks for any and all input!

xiongy

I owned an M101A3.
I own an M1101.

I towed the M101A3 home behind my truck, the M1101 was on a flat-bed.
If you have a flat-bed, I'd recommend using that to recover the trailer, for the piece of mind.

I switched out the HMMWV tires/wheels on the M1101 which lowered the bed about 4".
Never tried to lower the M101A3.

Good luck!

usmc80

Welcome to the site.

I currently own both. While I like the extra width and in bed tie downs in the M1101, I prefer the A3. It will depend on your application, but the extra width makes it harder to squeeze through tight spaces. I use mine in the woods to collect firewood though. You will have to keep the tailgate down hauling anything 8' long on the m1101. The A3 is just long enough to squeeze the gate shut.

I've also been toying with the idea of lowering them. Quickest way is to change the tires, but then you lose the run-flat tires. I've also heard that you can flip the springs so they go under the axle, but havent really researched this yet. Or you can buy an old camper axle and replace it all together. Others have cut the eye off the front and welded an adjustable hitch.

As for towing, I have done both, but you can't go wrong with hauling it on a flatbed. Might want to check your state laws. I believe some have grace periods in order to get the item home as long as you have a bill of sale (not 100% on that). Just make sure you are covered in case of an accident. Hope this helps.

usmc80

Almost forgot. If you plan to cover the bed or your purchase doesn't have bows and railings it is much easier to make and/or purchase these items for the M101 series. They have basiclly kept the same compatiable style since the 1960's. If you don't want to spend the money buying pre-made, simply go to the hardware store and make your own. I don't have the M1101 metal rails, bows or tarp and I am still looking. fyi

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the 101's will dump. No such luck with the 1101 (as far as I know)
Careful, the 101's are not dump trailers. They will open up but they will also break. This is a fairy tail that they were designed as dump trailers. THAT IS A NO NO. Lots of threads on this.

I have all the M101A2, M1102 and M105 trailers, just got the M1102 home last night. They all have different purposes. I would say this.

1.) If you want a covered utility trailer then get the M101A2 or M101A3
2.) If you want sides on your trailer get the M101A2 or M101A3
3.) If that is not important get the M1102 or M1101 because of the Aluminum Box, no rust and better designed rear support legs.

Last edited:

usmc80

Swiss is right. They weren't designed to dump, but can if desired and at your own risk. Aluminum is nice, but I hope you don't want to modify or fix anything on the box. You know how hard it is to weld aluminum??

3dAngus

I am a self proclaimed MV trailer addict. I love them all.
I've debated this same question with myself for quite a while now. Turns out, they are both my favorite trailer. There is nothing I would do to modify either, outside of adding 12vdc led lights for dual carrier capability.

I can't answer your question. Depends on your needs at any given moment.
Solution:
Own both. But in my case, if you have to do without one, take the M1101/1102 for equal Gross Vehicle weight, greater capacity, strength, and wider body for more versitile carrying capability.

13 MIKE

I have both also, seeing as i pull them with a H1, the size of the 1102 is perfect. The 1102 has a more usable cover, and a real tailgate.

3dAngus

Just so happened I measured the width of the M105 and M1101 about 30 minutes ago. The M105 was about 80" wide and the M1101 was 85". Not accounting for error in side misses.
Anyway, the reason why is I have no cover for one of my M1101s, and two torn rear flaps off the M105 covers, that otherwise appear to be in good shape. I'm hoping I can take the M105 cover without backflap, and with it being a bit stretched by now, get it to work on my M1101 while stationary, just to protect it and contents. Definitely not for going down the road. I'll report back results and pictures later if I can get it anywhere close. The M105 is definitely longer, so the back end is gonna look kinda funny, but if it's functional, what the heck.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harley I like the a$$ end picture of the trailers. I want to take one of mine like that. Do you have one with them from the side in the order of 102, 1102 and 105 last? That would be a good picture.

Dell was the measurements inside or outside. I hate sometimes that my trailers are not sitting in the yard where I can easily run out and measure when I get a thought.

3dAngus

swiss; Dell was the measurements inside or outside. I hate sometimes that my trailers are not sitting in the yard where I can easily run out and measure when I get a thought.[/QUOTE said:
Measured to the outside where the cover would fall.

tracerbow

[thumbzup] Wow, thanks for all the replies, info and pics!

3dAngus, you summed up my thoughts on the matter, useability for my purposes, etc. So for now, I think I will aim for the 1101/1102 and see how that goes. I will no doubt be asking some other questions and learning as I go; really thankful for this forum.

Nice thing is, I live on a corner lot and have a second driveway around back/side for the trailer. Bad thing is, I live on a corner lot and have a second driveway around back/side....might be enough room for 2 trailers...uh oh!

tracerbow

:jumpin:
Well I was able to win an 1101 at a recent auction. Now waiting for the EUC to clear. Thanks again to all those that supplied info, etc. Looking forward to recovery in 4 to 6 weeks or so.

Lextreme

Sorry Guys for the old thread. Anyone know the length (bed dimension) between M101 vs. M1102? I am in the same boat between the trailers. I have a M10a2 for my M109a3, but looking for something that my Land Cruiser can tow. I dont plan to have a cover. From the picture above the 1102 is little wider. What about the length?

Thanks

Lex

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks