• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36A2 QUESTIONS FROM A NEWBIE

Hoosier

I'm a newbie and this is my first post so please bare with me. I'm interested in obtaining an M36A2 w/w and dropping a shop or com shelter on the back. I don't know diddly about the M series so I'm reading/searching/reading etc. - It looks like some of you have considered the same thing so I'm a bit confident it will work and give me some additional room at the rear for a generator, etc. (or between cab and van body) Here are my questions:

1. I've read about multi fuel. I have no idea what types of fuel that covers. See? Don't know diddly.

2. What options should I look for in the M36A2 to make my life easier and more comfortable. Airshift? Diesel vs. Gas vs. Multi Fuel, etc.

3. If there is some document or web page that would provide my answers that would be great. I've been searching for days and haven't found anything.

4. Thanks for your patience. Ignorance is bliss but it's also a pain....

Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the technical manual section and download TM 9-2320-361-10. This is the operators manual for the M44A2 series deuce of which the M36A2 belongs. Once you've read that 40 or 50 times, you will know much more about the family of deuces. Your idea is a good one and we have discussed it before. You may check with member David Doyle (DDoyle). He has an M36A2 and just might be willing to sell it. They are not readily available like the M35A2. Also, use that search button at the top, there is cubic tons of information already discussed on this site, lots with pictures. Welcome aboard Hoosier!

Hoosier

Thank you for the quick and honest reply. I've downloaded the document and will while away the hours reading it. You help is appreciated!!

Elwenil

Could not a 5 ton Cargo be used for the same purpose since they have a bed longer than a M35? Sure, there are more restrictions to owning a 5 ton as compared to a Deuce but they are much easier to come by than a M36 and have power steering, available Cummins engine and more tire and rim options. Just a thought...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Rick,
The Muiltifuel burns diesel, jet fuel, home heating oil, kerosene (all previous essentially the same) as well as non-aviation grade gasoline. The gas versions of the truck, the most notable being the M36 - is far and away quieter than any of the others - but has noticably less pep - once up to highway speed though you don't notice this.

As Kenny pointed out - in my collection I have a couple of M36A2 trucks, as well as a M292A2 expansible van (has the same wheelbase).

The M36A2 rides markedly better than does the M35A2 - or does a five-ton - and this is especially true of the van, which is significantly heavier.

Counter to what many of my friends on this forum think - my experience has been that a naturally aspirated LD-465 is much more pleasant to drive (less noise), and has all the power I've ever needed (been stuck a few times - but never where more HP or torque would have helped). If you go with a turbosuperchared engine - the LDT-465 - then the LDT-465-1D model again is quieter - some think the singing of the turbo of the LDT-465-1C is cool, but after a few hours its just loud (Huh? You say something?)

As far as sprag vs. Air shift - the army debated this for twenty-plus years - and buffs will debate it even longer. Properly maintained, either will do what is asked of them - without proper care, neither will.

None of the G-742 series trucks handle like sports cars, and the extra length of the extra-long wheel base trucks emphasis this - there are some trails that are passable in the M35A2 that cannot be navigated in the M36A2, and parking lots can be challenging too.

Worthwhile options in my view are heater, a hard top, and perhaps a winch.

That being said, the truck I'm considering selling has no winch nor hard top, but it does have a heater. As I recall it has a whistling "C" turbo - but I'd have to look to verify this (unless one of the other guys on the list that has driven it remembers).

HTH,
David Doyle

Hoosier

Thanks everyone!! David, what a ton of information. There's a bunch of acronyms I'll be looking up :O). Much appreciated.

I've also considered the 5 ton version but they are BIG and I'm not sure my wife would ever drive it (that might be a good thing?) In any case, the longer wheel base would be a plus and I'm not opposed to a 5 ton. I guess I'd have to check on CDL license but that probable depends on type of plates it has. I have read the 900s have a tendency to lock the wheels and stall the engine under panic breaking if it doesn't have the anti-lock braking kit. Not where I want to be!!

A hard top, heater and winch are all must haves for me.

Again, thank you all for the responses!!

Rick

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Rick,
Sorry I talked in code - I've editted my post so now perhaps you won't have to look up so many acronyms!

HTH,
David

Hoosier

David,

Code is good. I don't mind looking stuff up or getting my hands dirty. That's how I learn. :O)

westfolk

I'll go with DD. My M275A2(the real one) is a NA engine. It does what it's suppose to do. While the fake M275A2(M109A3) has a "D" engine. Little louder then the NA, but quieter than any of the "C" engines in the parking lot.

Welcome Rick........