• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Transfer case pto

pappy59

I'm looking to run a large (30 gpm or larger) hydraulic pump off of a rear facing transfer case pto on one of our M35A2 brush trucks. What type of coupler can be attached to the output shaft of the pto? I don't have the pto yet.

ODdave

4 bolt flange. It is the same flange pattern that is on the front winch driveshaft. I used a driveshaft from an old jeep. Uses a 1310 u-joint

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the PTO you buy has the flange. Otherwise there is a tapered shaft with keyway and threaded end, and the flange will be very hard to find.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pappy,

I'm going to move this thread to the appropriate location (the deuce forum). You'll find you will get much better exposure and probably more concise answers if you look for and place your posts in a better location

jake1086

Hi, first post here. I am looking at an m109 and was wondering (anyone can answer this I assume) what are the pinions on the axles used for front and back? and how can you use them? Do you have to be moving the truck to use them or have it in neutral or have your diffs unlocked? so many questions haha.

Dont mean to jack this thread just thought this was a good spot to add to it.

P.S. really excited to be part of your community :jumpin:

spicergear

The nut is a fairly uncommon thread as well; something like 1"-20 or something like that. I couldn't buy one at any of the fastener houses so bought one with smaller threads, cut them out then recut the threads I need on my lathe. Yes, tapered shaft for the output too.

You should be able to drive whatever you feel like off of that, it's very beefy and is a straight thru-drive on the upper out of the T-case. I'm driving I think a 25gpm pump with no sweat. T-case neutral, trans in 4th, prolly around 1400-1500rpm.

jake1086

(watching responses I realize I am not intelligent :) ) I don't believe my T-case has a PTO out, am I mistaken?

Again not trying to hijack the thread if anyone wants me to I'll start my own thread.

spicergear

Both front and rear driveshafts come off of the lower drop of the transfer case. The input from the transmission drive in the upper input of the T-case. Straight through from that is a heavy cap that will be removed to install the PTO. The beauty of these PTO is you can put the t-case in neutral then drive the PTO at whatever speed you want using the transmission gears.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:
The nut is a fairly uncommon thread as well; something like 1"-20 or something like that........
Thread: Yes, 1"-20 tpi.
Uncommon....? depends where you look: every M35 has 11 of those nuts... (or 12.... if it was a M48; M49; M50; M108; M185; V18A; etc.)..........:smile:

G.

jake1086

Both front and rear driveshafts come off of the lower drop of the transfer case. The input from the transmission drive in the upper input of the T-case. Straight through from that is a heavy cap that will be removed to install the PTO. The beauty of these PTO is you can put the t-case in neutral then drive the PTO at whatever speed you want using the transmission gears.
ah ha! so do you have any info on a place who would sell the PTO shaft and hydro pump as a kit? :) Thank you.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be mistaken but I think Jake is talking about the axle drive flange. No you cannot drive a hyd pump off of the axle flange. Well, I guess you could but it would only pump while moving and speed would be dependent on ground speed. The front tandem axle and the rear axle are the exact same (and so is the "chunk" in the front axle. The front tandem needs the flanges on both ends to send power to the rear axle. On the front and the rear axle it just sits there and spins. In other words, it serves no purpose.

jake1086

ya I cant believe there arent any attatcments someone has come up with for the front and rear pinion. (I'm thinking like... a rotary snowblower geared way up so you move a little and the snow blower turns way more than it should need to move alot of snow.....

Just had an idea!!! mower!!!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another problem with driving something off the axle drive flange is axle articulation. The axles move quite a bit and it would be hard to attach a driveline without binding.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front wouldn't be too bad but the rear axle articulates a bunch. I wouldn't be worried about the slip yokes as much as I would excessive u-joint angles. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it's going to take some figuring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks