• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24087'd the deuce this week!

hcso1988

Finally got the time to do some body work on the 1971 AM General. I was asked to be in the local 4th of July parade this summer, so I had some motivation to get it started and done.

Spent a good 3 days scraping rust, welding in patches on the cab and fenders, and priming all of the extremely rusty spots. I ended up using the Behr paint after seeing some other 24087 Behr jobs. Still need to order stencils and get the yellow stripe on the nose. Another 8GP truck will be one the road soon!!

Attachments

mutt_kahuna

24087'd the deuce

Looks great!...question,did you roll or spray the Behr?....Im leaning more towards the 24087 for my 5 ton gun truck...really depends on the late 1968 time frame when the GT was originally built to the 70-71 look.

hcso1988

I sprayed it with an airless Campbell Hausfeld sprayer that I borrowed from work. It did a GREAT job, nice even coating and easy to apply. The sprayer I used is a rather expensive commercial one, but I have read that the guys using the wagner's have got good results too. Attached is a copy of the paint code too. If you have a smart phone (iPhone in particular) they can scan the bar code right there off your screen. Or they could off mine at least :)

Attachments

hcso1988

I sprayed it straight. I have read on here some of the guys have used warm water to thin it. I am by no means a professional painter, so I just hooked up and went for it. The most painting I do is at work, and that's on ductile pipework. When we run out of things to do they make us paint. lol

Also, it took almost 3 gallons to do it completely. I may of ended up with a quart left over.

hcso1988

So it rained for a good 3 hours tonight. I'm hoping this paint doesn't run/bubble. I have read from the Behr posts that it takes quite some time to dry; it's only had 2 days of sunshine. I guess I'll find out in the morning.

hcso1988

It's finally finished. All that's left is to find and buy a canvas top. Took it down to the square in my home town where they have old cars every Saturday night. It got a lot of attention. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337477395.246710.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337477422.246578.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337477436.945669.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337477451.994405.jpg

Last edited:

hcso1988

Only on the parts that I ground down with the grinder and wire wheel. Other than that, cleaned it off real good and left the original paint as primer. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow, those were crappy ones from my iPhone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks