• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to get two m220's running after a long rest

targhee trucks

Can you post your pics here instead of links? Thanks.
Yes, I've been meaning to find out how to do that. On other forums I've used the pictures post when I add the link. This one is different. I'll do some reading and find out what I have to do differently.

Jack

F18hornetM

I dont know anything about these trucks but always liked them. Will keep an eye on your post to follow your progress. Good luck with the restoration. [thumbzup]

targhee trucks

I dont know anything about these trucks
Ditto! :lol:

The truth is, I've been real happy with my old Jeeps and even though we've been on some rides with some of the larger trucks from the Idaho MVPA group, I hadn't really considered owning one. But, I think I've been bitten hard. As I mentioned earlier, they are my son-in-laws trucks and the first priority is to get the most value out of them that benefits the farm. But, I'm hoping that my name ends up on at least one title! But, whatever happens, I'm going to do all I can to keep them out of the scrap yard.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Well it should be a great project and cool family project. My son and I have a M35 and a M813 which we love. But there is something about the 40's and 50's trucks thats just plain cool.
You have came to the right place for information. Although everyone strongly encourages looking things up in the TM's, they will steer you to the right section, even copying and pasting pages or just plain answer your question. Amazes me how much stuff some of these guys can remember.

I wonder what the holes in the front bumper were for?

Oldfart

Thanks for that! I've wondered about the serial number, seemed that there must be more to it. Good timing on the answer too, because we're going to start searching through the files his dad left him and see if we can find titles. If there are none, we're going to have to go through that process. I'd like to be sure the correct vins are on the titles.

I'm going out to do some work on the trucks this morning, I'll check those frame horns and let you know what I find.

That is one fine looking truck and trailer in your avatar, very nice!

Jack

We were lucky with our M220 find. It was some 55 years with the U.S. Army at Yuma Proving Grounds and was reasonably intact with less than 10,000 actual miles.

Attachments

targhee trucks

There should be more to the serial number. On the passenger side frame horn (outside) forward of the front axle there should be some numbers about 3/4 of an inch tall
Thanks for that info, they were right where you said they'd be.

"M220" followed by the three digit serial number from the data plate. No letters. The delivery dates on these two trucks are Jan '54 and Mar '54, so they must have been made before the switch to the letter system.

targhee trucks

Got a reply this morning to the email I sent to Boyce in Ogden last week. The tech who replied, Brett, said that our trucks looked like some of the ones their company did. He identified the transmissions as V205 Clark. He said Boyce no longer has any documentation on these trucks, but that they could help with the clutch and brake parts. 8)

APM215

The CCKW drive line is a nice conversion and makes the truck quite driveable. I’m not saying that the auto trans is not a good transmission but they can have “quirks” that can be frustrating at times.
Nice trucks including the one’s in the other thread as well.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M220 potatoe trucks

I showed your potato truck pics to my Dad and he laughed. "So many times we didn't pick because we couldn't get to the field, the 6X would have solved a lot of problems."

Here's a couple shots of the 50's potato tractor.

Attachments

targhee trucks

I showed your potato truck pics to my Dad and he laughed. "So many times we didn't pick because we couldn't get to the field, the 6X would have solved a lot of problems."

Here's a couple shots of the 50's potato tractor.
We understand that, we've seen some slippery harvests here too. Those are great pics of your good old tractor. But I thought Old Faithful was over by us . . .

targhee trucks

You guys do amazing work!

I've started reading through the threads you guys have going. Wow! That is some amazing work you all are doing. I'm just an amateur wrench turner and the stuff I'm doing is pretty basic, but I like it!

Thanks for all the good threads!

Jack

waayfast

Following this thread with interest-----just dawned on me once I started reading about potato farming----I got my A$$ chewed out because of one of these trucks!!

YEP, way back when I was younger (much!) I worked for a local spud farmer.Same deal, sometimes we couldn't get into the fields because of the mud.

So, he comes along with his new secret weapon-- a 211/135 (can't remember what variant) GMC 2 1/2 ton military truck equiped with a spud bed.

Assigns me as the driver. NOT FUN! Between my inexperiance as a driver (young, really young) and that crazy self shifting (I still say POSESSED) transmision, I just about tore the final chain platform off of the spud harvester.
Harvestor would go too fast/truck to slow--BANG hit the headboard with the chain (scream/hollar/fistshake) ---gas it to get the piler centered in the bed--trans would shift up --BANG into the tail board (scream/hollar/fist shake).

Repeat all day long---------

I now know(remember) why I have no interest in the post war GMC's;-)

If you are interested, I know of another one of these for sale -- I can PM you for the details if you like.

JIm

targhee trucks

Following this thread with interest-----just dawned on me once I started reading about potato farming----I got my A$$ chewed out because of one of these trucks!!

If you are interested, I know of another one of these for sale -- I can PM you for the details if you like.
JIm
Great story! Other's have commented on our good luck for having manuals in these trucks. Your story helps me understand why.

We've spent a fair amount of time in a potato trucks over the years too. Never bent any booms, but came close a time or two.

Something for sale? Sure send me the link, I'm working on finding out all I can about these trucks, I'd like to see what others have and what they're asking.

Jack

targhee trucks

Some of my inspiration videos

Running engine

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRb5Z3CJ-4[/media]

Older chassis, but close enough

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEoafPBHpXw&feature=related[/media]

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running 302 G749

My jaw is sore from smilin'. :lol: You've got one fired already?. . . . . . and we're
pretty sure Old Faithful copied our idea, thinkin' my Dad's been around much
longer then Yellowstone.

Thanks so much for doing the video. Amazing low idle sound isn't it.

I'm not hearing lifters rattling around and you've got great oil pressure if the
gauge is accurate. Just, wow.

You've got so many benefits with the manual trani. The auto trani is a challenge
to tune, changes daily and can run the motor to red-line between 2nd and 3rd......if you let it.

Having the luxury of keeping the RPM low during shifts will help things last a
long time.

Very Lucky and again, thanks for taking the time to share them....... we know you could have chosen to fly another airline.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Running 302 G749

I forgot about 2010 long ago, so it's new information to me.......

missed the words.... 'inspiration videos', Good thing you were awake.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0HRUflhfM[/media]

targhee trucks

Breaking the engine loose in M220 #2

I googled this topic and found lot's of info on it. So this is what I'm thinking of doing. Any other advice?

1. Be patient. Don't use any of the apparent "quick fixes" like trying to drag it around on a chain or beat on things with a big hammer.

2. Make sure the engine is really frozen. Check air compressor, generator, starter to be sure it's not them instead of the engine.

3. ATF, PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery Oil seem to the the most popular fluids. Also kerosene and diesel. Some suggested using a combination of fluids.

4. Fill the cylinders, put corks in the plug holes to keep junk out.

5. Some suggested draining out the engine oil and putting in diesel.

6. Try to turn it once a week w/ short breaker bar, 18", careful not to round off crank nut.

7. Be patient.

My hope is to be able to start the engine after breaking it loose without a tear down and rebuild. Time is money, I've got lots of time.

So, what do you think? Any other suggestions?

Jack

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks