Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dry cut metal saw question

Private
    Thanks

The saw your looking at will cut 4130 easily. I have the Milwaukee version, and I'm on it's original blade. The only thing with this type chop saw is the chips that get throw by the blade, very sharp, sweep up after cutting to prevent tracking the chips into the house.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to metal tech For This Useful Post:

jimmy-90 (06-20-2012)

Lake Charles, Louisiana - Chaguaramas, TnT
    Thanks

Friend of mine has a fab shop and has several of them. The first one was almost given to him by our supplier, after using it the first day, he bought several and even take them on the job site. They work wonders as long as you do not force them through, just let them slowly do the job. Yes, they produce sharp chips and you need to make sure you use a set of safety glasses! Only bad thing is the cost of the replacement blades!

Guess I gotta change my handle to 6X6 Forever...

1971 AMG M35a2 w/w
    1987 M1008

Below, my mentors!
    [19:59:56] doghead: I am almost always happy
    Wreckerman893: My reputation preceeds me.
    How about "I was inmate of the month at Fort Leavenworth" .
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    (We do have a wanted section.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 Forever For This Useful Post:

jimmy-90 (06-20-2012)

Thanks

I was looking at a reconditioned Milwaukee version of that saw. It cost $100.00 or so more dollars but it is probly well worth it. Me and my father have always used Milwaukee tools. He has three Milwaukee drills that he used everyday at work before he retired. They are almost as old as I am and im 37. Those drills don't look new but they still work like they are brand new. I still use them on jobs that the Dewalt cordless is not up to. Lol I also priced a blade for the Milwaukee saw.....It costs about as much as that entire Northern Tool saw does. Im thinking im gonna go for it sometime in the next week or two and order the Milwaukee saw. Thanks for all the help with this guys.

Thanks

Up to 4-1/2" or so, Milwaukee or Dewalt portable band saw. My Mil. eats steel like its cake!
    Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

“The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstein

Thanks

I've got the Dewalt 14" version cold cut saw. Got it on CL used but almost new for 170$. Works great, but as other posters said GO SLOW. I found carbide blades called "Diablo " on line for 40$. The Dewalt blades are 3 times that price . I bought 2 and have done a few fab jobs with very little blade wear. I believe they are good hobby , home shop metal saws. Definitely better than an abrasive carborundum style blade- very few sparks. The RPM's on these saws are much lower than a wood chop saw which prevents using carbide metal cutting blades on them. Great saws for angle iron, rectangular tubing up to 1/4 in.
    '44 GPW
    '67 Stevens M416 1/4 ton trailer
    '04 Rebuilt by CVA Corp.,M101A2, 3/4ton trailer
    '85 CUCV M1028
    MEP-016d

Thanks

Great saws We have two that we use to fab with all the time would not be without one now. go slow and they will cut up to 1/2" no problem.

Thanks

Figured I would update this thread. Well I went ahead and got enough money together to buy a brand new Milwaukee 6190-20 dry cut machine last month. I got the thing, read the instructions, and set it up but when I went to start cutting the thing started acting up right away. All I was able to do was cut off a couple pieces of scg. 40 gas pipe to test it before it broke 2 teeth off and jumped soo hard it somehow damaged the shroud over the blade. I suspect that the blade they sent with it must have been slightly warped to cause it to do that. On the few pieces of pipe I was able to cut it was leaving a huge bur at the bottom of the cuts. Anyhow I sent it back and got another. This one works unbelievably good. I am very impressed with how perfect of a cut it will make.

Thanks

Every one is saying not to force it, but don't let bounce either. Use some down force. I've cut a bunch of steel with my Dewalt and love it. Still on the 1st blade, I do have a few chipped teeth thought. Has any one had one sharpen??
    "It is a proven fact that you cannot idiot proof anything due to Mother Nature's ability to constantly upgrade the common idiot." WM

Lake Charles, Louisiana - Chaguaramas, TnT
    Thanks

Jimmy 90, Don't know what brand blade you are using, but have read around the web and found that the Dewalt blades are having problems with their 'new' design. Might want to use another brand.

Jason, To have sharpened, take it by any reputable saw shop and have them sharpened. It all depends on the condition of the blade though...

Guess I gotta change my handle to 6X6 Forever...

1971 AMG M35a2 w/w
    1987 M1008

Below, my mentors!
    [19:59:56] doghead: I am almost always happy
    Wreckerman893: My reputation preceeds me.
    How about "I was inmate of the month at Fort Leavenworth" .
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    (We do have a wanted section.)

Thanks

I use a Milwaukee cold saw, a hand held metal cutting skill saw also by milwaukee, and I use an old Makita chop saw. I will use all 3 in the course of a project. It just depends on what, where, and the angle I am cutting at. They all have their place in a shop.
    Shannon Deese

M35A2
    M35A2 Bobbed w/winch
    M35A3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast