• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plugs vs. Ether on a CUCV

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have noticed that my M1009 does not always want to start easily when it is cold, but this morning it would not start at all. According to the forecast is was supposed to be 25-30 degrees this morning. After multiple attempts to get her started I decided to give it a tiny squirt of ether from the extra bottle for the deuce. I waited till the glow plug light went out, and then cranked her over. She started right up.

Do the glow plugs turn off when the "Wait" light goes off?
Is there a easy way to disable the glow plugs when you need to use ether to start?
Are glow plugs as effective as ether?

I realize that my glow plug system may not be 100% as I have not done anything with it, but it does improve starting normally. I also realize that ether and glow plugs are not compatible at the same time.

jeli

Glow plugs will recycle even after the engine is running. I'd disconnect the relay before doing this again.

Since you don't live in the snow belt I'd first hold the accelerator to the floor while cranking before giving it any ether. Don't pump just hold.

Westech

CPL
The glow plug controler card in the cucv's sucks to put it nice. I found that mine would not start after it was colder then 50 out. The thing to do it put a toggle/whatever you want switch in there. Just bypass the card and controll them your self. As of using starting fluid... well i have done it befor and many many time in my deuce, just use very small amounts. The 6.2 will rev to the sky with a good shot of that stuff and blow up. Just be smart aout it and you should not have a problem.

mangus580

You could wire a toggle switch into one of the small wires leading to the glow plug solenoid to disable the plugs.

This brings up something I was going to mention today anyway...

How many people have read the 'starting instructions' label on the back of your drivers visor?

It states for starting under one temp (cant recall the actual temps) to hold the throttle halfway down. And for the colder temps.... to hold the throttle all the way down while cranking.

(now I see you mentioned something about this jeli :) )

If you find that your glow plugs wont let it start the first time, let them cycle a couple times before cranking (You can tell when they are on, by watching your volt gauge)

It was about 8° this morning, and mine started almost perfectly. I suspect i have one or two bad plugs that make it falter on the coldest starts with only one cycle.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Speaking of which, do you hold it to the floor when starting? If you read the starting procedure, it says to do so. That sets the high-idle solenoid. Check the cold advance and make sure it's getting juice when the ign is on and the engine is cold. There is a water temp switch on the right side of the block. The wire going in should have 12-14v on it. When the engine is cold, the switch is closed and 12-14v will be fed to the other wire opening the cold advance. When it warms, the switch opens and cuts off the juice returning the timing to normal.

Check the connector. Mine broke apart and fell off once.

You never want to use ether with the plugs connected. Hot plugs and ether can cause explosive detonation and engine damage. When my glow system was messed up. I diconnected the glow plug harness at the relay to ensure it wasn't energized.

Careful not to use too much ether straight down the manifold as it doesn't compress very well in liquid form and can cause a hydolock. You're better off misting the air filter intake.

Edit: Dang I'm a slow typer and everyone beat me to the punch :roll:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Magnus I had not broken anything yet, so why would I read the directions? Sad but true actually as I had never bothered. I got my starting directions from RSOVRanger when on a recent thread he mentioned half throttle above 30 and full below 30. I think this morning it was at half throttle instead of full. I still have to fix my volt gauge after dousing some of my wiring with fuel the other week.

Like usual here that archives are king.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6424&highlight=ether
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2910&highlight=ether

acetomatoco

The key to good starting is sufficient cranking amps and rotational speed to get the compression ignition..Having good glow plug operation manual or by card is important too... It was 16 below zero here yesterday and my Cucv started on the second warming cycle of the GP Card..just one or two bad plugs at really cold temps hinders the starting big time.. Group 31 or the 6TN or 6TL with the solargiser are wonderful... RAM

ida34

Mine has been starting in all weather down to about 10 degrees here. I have not had to hold the pedal all the way down yet. Half does me just fine. I am running two 6tls and it cranks great all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks