• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Determining Tire Age

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On that first tire I would exclude the decade 90-99 because at that time it was already mandatory for all tire manufacturers globally, to use the 3 digits, plus the triangle to differentiate the 90's from the 80's. Manufacturing date code then would have been (487<)

As for being safe... well, maybe in a museum, filled with foam...? :).
Seriously, I would never run a tire older than 10 years on a steer axle. Put them on the inside, rear axles, only.

G.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

The 1965 dated jeep tires I posted about at the beginning of this post are still on my 1943 WWII jeep. I put them on in the mid 1990s. They still look great.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in my experience, old school tires fair better than the new ones. Not saying I would hit the interstate with some.

(I would never run a tire older than 10 years on a steer axle. Put them on the inside, rear axles, only.)

I agree with the steer axle but on my deuce they go on the outside dual. The odds of a 9x20 coming apart is slim but if they do I don't want them anywhere near the brake lines.

Flyboy207

Strange considering I thought both of those Titan tires were the newest of the batch, I guess I'll run all the 1999/2000 ones on the back, get rid of the armstrongs from 1989 and buy two new fronts from Coker... Unless anyone knows where to get them less than $320 apiece :doh: