• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventure Trailer Build

t0mills

Been working on a design for my trailer that I picked up last month.

The trailer is a M101A2 bed on a M116A3 frame. Good shape overall.

I used to have a rooftop tent on my landcruiser, but quickly realized that without A/C, it was only useable for a couple months out of the year (in this climate).
That left me looking at small pop-up campers and the like. I need something with good offroad capability, that will match my cruiser. Every pop-up camper that I looked at was simply too flimsy and low to the ground. Since this will be used for just myself (most of the time), I also don't need the slide-outs that all modern pop-ups seem to come with.

That's when I started looking at military trailers. The M101s are very close in size to my cruiser (track width is exactly the same on my A3), and are overbuilt (which I like). I looked into the S-250 shelters, but they just don't fit the 101 like they should, and are a bit too tall for my needs.

Here are some pics of my rough model while I get the overall design knocked out. After that, I'll begin to finalize all of the details like body construction (inner frame, aluminum skins, rivet placement..ect).

The A/C system I am using is from here: Arctic 2000

And is perfect for this type of setup. It was developed for use in Semi Sleepers, and designed to run off of a 12v battery bank. 6000btu, and has 3 separate components that will allow for a nice install.

I've still got TONS of work left to do on the design, but if you guys think of anything that I should add, feel free to suggest.

Attachments

M1031CMT

Nice. Should work well.

I built mine from a pioneer tool trailer. Still have some work to do to it, but it works well.

I pulled the axle and put one with hubs that match the tires on the truck. That way the spare on the truck/trailer will fit on whichever vehicle I need it to.

You making the shell/framework out of steel or aluminum?

Did you get an estimate on price for the AC system?

Attachments

Last edited:

t0mills

Id use high density spray foam insulation to get the most out of the a/c. It will also strengthen the walls and roof.

Yep, that's the plan. Similar to how the S-250 shelters are constructed.

I'm sure you already have plans to, but some sliding RV windows would be nice.

I do plan to put in some small windows, I just haven't found any that I like yet.
Any suggestions?

Nice. Should work well.

I build mine from a pioneer tool trailer. Still have some work to do to it, but it works well.

I pulled the axle and put one which hubs that match the tires on the truck. That way the spare on the truck/trailer will fit on whichever vehicle I need it to.

You making the shell/framework out of steel or aluminum?

Did you get an estimate on price for the AC system?

That looks good. I like those pioneer trailers.

My axle is the A3 drop axle, which is 8-lug. Right now, the cruiser is only 6 lug, but will be 8-lug in the future.
However, the trailer uses HMMW wheels (lot of backspacing), so it will get it's own separate spare.

The framework and skins will be aluminum, just to save weight. My preference would be stainless, but the trailer would end up weighing over 3k...

Price for that particular A/C system is around $2k, but they do offer a smaller version which is less.

Very cool ideas and computer drawings. I like it. I say go for it... Post pics as you build.

Jeff

Thanks! The computer models (once finished) are what I use to actually cut/fab the pieces that will make up the finished product.

M1031CMT

Was looking at the website for that AC company. Wouldn't their all-in-one "Oblo" unit work better for the trailer? Says it even comes pre-charged. Trailer is pretty small, so you wouldn't need that big of a unit. Unless well you are planning on putting stuff on the top of the trailer which wouldn't leave you space to put it up there.

Oblo

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your cruzer would be much better with a body. And wheels on the trailer. Might improve the chances of you actually getting there in, well, an actual solid object. :)

J/K

This is a neat thread, great ideas here!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tomills,

Looks like a plan. What model cruiser, do you have. The older 6 cly. will have a hard time towing that heavy of a trailer. I have a FJ55, but I'm putting a 5.3 vortec in it. Should be more able to handle a 101. My Son and I are building a couple 101's, for camping. I like your hardtop and a/c idea.

t0mills

Was looking at the website for that AC company. Wouldn't their all-in-one "Oblo" unit work better for the trailer? Says it even comes pre-charged. Trailer is pretty small, so you wouldn't need that big of a unit. Unless well you are planning on putting stuff on the top of the trailer which wouldn't leave you space to put it up there.

Oblo

I looked into the roof mounted a/c units. They're all too tall and bulky for my needs. This thing will inevitably get drug through the brush on occasion, so I'd rather not have something like that sitting on the roof.
I really like how the Arctic models are made of separate components. Since I'm building this from the ground up, it will make for a clean install.

And you're right, there will be a basket up top to hold extra gear when going on extended trips.

t0mills

I think your cruzer would be much better with a body. And wheels on the trailer. Might improve the chances of you actually getting there in, well, an actual solid object. :)

J/K

This is a neat thread, great ideas here!

True! The model definitely looks better with all of the details.... BUT... it just takes an enormous amount of time to accurately model all of those parts.
Everything you see on there was hand-drawn, using dimensions pulled off of the actual parts/pieces. I'm sure you can imagine how long it would take to accurately model the cruiser body using a pair of calipers! :doh:

Thanks!

Tomills,

Looks like a plan. What model cruiser, do you have. The older 6 cly. will have a hard time towing that heavy of a trailer. I have a FJ55, but I'm putting a 5.3 vortec in it. Should be more able to handle a 101. My Son and I are building a couple 101's, for camping. I like your hardtop and a/c idea.

My cruiser is a FZJ80 model. It's still an inline 6cyl (4.5L DOHC), but it has plenty of power to handle the trailer. If anything, I may do a diesel conversion later on.
Love those iron pigs though! A 5.3 in one of those would be sweet.

Really nice. What software are you using and where did you get the stencils?

The software is called Solidworks. Everything in that model was drawn by myself, which just takes time. Actually takes more time to model than it does to fabricate the parts.

3D CAD Design Software SolidWorks

Thats a really cool program, I'm guessing a lot of to get your design to that stage!! Can't wait until the real thing rolls in!

Vinny

Thanks! I'll update below with an example of how the model gets transformed into an actual part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks