• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start, Stall then Hard Start - Fixed

BigRix

I've been chasing this problem since I bought my M1009. When I park, nose up in my inclined drive way and it sits for more than a few hours, it starts then stalls. After that it has a long crank time, often requiring me to hold the pedal on the floor. It runs rough for a few seconds then is fine after that.

I've read countless threads with others having similar problems with lots of good advise. A referenced TSB discussed the fuel pump and check valve in the injection pump.

My fuel pump had some staining near the vent hole so it got replaced. Same problem. I parked it and crimped off the return hose, thereby eliminating the injection pump check valve. Same problem.

Several threads discussed the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel filter housing so I went there next. Pulled the housing off the truck and popped out the sensor and found this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344610191.591631.jpg

The o-ring had cracks in it.

At this point several solutions have been pointed out.

New o-ring
Spin on filter mod
Bolt stuck in the feed hole
Freeze plug pressed in the sensor hole

I chose the bolt method.

I've even found references to the bolt method being in one of the TM's but I could not find it or any pictures of how it was done.

I backed up twenty and punted.

My original plan was to tap the feed hole 6x1.0mm and install a short bolt with a copper crush washer. Two problems with that. There is not a flat surface for the washer to seal against and the tap would only go in part way before stopping against a steel tube.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344610655.946437.jpg

This actually works to our advantage. The starting tap is tapered at the tip therefore the hole is now tapered. I put a little thread sealant in a short 6mm bolt and tightened her down. The tapered hole made for a very tight seal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344611119.122010.jpg

Let thing dry for a while and reinstalled.

First thing this morning SUCCESS!

I hope that this can help others in the future.

edpdx

I had this same issue with fuel returning to the tank when parked uphill. It seems my problem was a break in the fuel line from fuel pump to IP. Replaced it and it is fixed.

Q: If the O-Ring is leaking after all these years, can't a simple o-ring replacement fix this for a few more years at a time? AND say, keep an envelope of them in the Glove box?

BigRix

Any of the aforementioned repairs would be effective. I just chose the one I could do with what I had on hand. Cost = Free

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks