• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater/Warmer

zachattack1287

I have read most of the other block heater questions surrounding the M1009. I recently purchased one and was hoping/needing to install some sort of warmer/heater for the block. Most of what I read involved a timer with an immersion heater. The only concern I have about this is that I am on call with EMS and the Fire Dept and get called out in the middle of the night. So would the ones mentioned on timers work being pulgged in all night without me having to take a second mortgage for the power bill? Any suggestions? I do have the ability to plug this up to the house via drop cord without too much distance through a drop cord if that changes anything.

Keith_J

500 watts will run about $0.06 per hour. Most electric utilities charge about $0.12 per kilowatt-hour. 500 watts will keep the engine warm in your climate.

I would recommend a coolant heater installed in the heater lines. Some have pumps, others use thermosiphon. Either way, they won't overheat the engine since the thermostat will open, causing additional flow path through the radiator.

Heating the oil won't get the cylinder head warm and in the indirect injected engine, cylinder head temperature is more critical than oil temperature.

wayne pick

The tank style heater won't work on the 6.2/6.5 engine. the coolant feed taps into the block drain which is behind the motor mounts, and impossible to any kind of fitting on. An alternative is to splice a 2in x 3/4 tee into the lower radiator hose to feed the unit. Placement is critical for these units to work properly or they will burn out. The feed must be at the lowest point of the cooling sys. Im not crazy about compremising any rad hoses and creating a potential for any leaks. I used the Kats freeze plug heater #10612. It's just a matter of knocking out the middle freeze plug on the drivers side, and installing the heater.

Keith_J

Zerostart makes a pump type which works well in these larger engines. I have a Frost Heater on my small diesel, it is a rebranded Zerostart.

ralbelt

You still have to wait for the glow plugs to cycle,so make sure your system is up to the task. And then you should wait till the prechamber is at operating temp, and the glow plugs stop cycling.
Seems like a lot of wasted time when some ones life is on the line.

zachattack1287

Thanks again for the input. I believe I will look more into the pump kind as well as the freeze plug heater. And will make sure to wait for the glow plugs. An no worries this vehicle is primarily for the snow and time that the response time will be greater the V8 charger keeps the response times down normally. I appreciate all the feedback this is my first m1009 and I'm quite excited about it.

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would anyone have a part number for the Kat's Frost Plug heater for the 6.2L Diesel found in the M1008? I understand Kat's is closing up shop so any substitute frost plug would also work.

Thanks,
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks