• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 is home

zout

I just senced that sea foam or od was not asthetic for the ambulance section so I as well went with the white that was spec'd for the white on the red cross section as well as the exterior white writing . Just made it cleaner - more sanitary looking and I really did not care who thought what about being appropriate or correct - it just plain looks better.

When I got my gubby paws on this 43 as well it was missing none of the little things and had more of the little things that ones I had seen (cause they were begging to get their grubby little paws on these little pieces).

I had professionals tell me who worked out of these in Nam - DO NOT use the personnel heater in the rear unless you have a death wish - so all I did was clean this one up and to this day I have not tried to fire it up or have any plans to do to - cause I believe this fella.

Just do not understand why your 43 had a siren on it ? just like they did not require flashing blinking lights either. Oh well.

toddbe

Zout - you are the 2nd person that stated the heaters were - well I will call it problematic. It nice that it is there, but I think I'm with you - it is just a nice looking non-used part of history.

Siren - well M715 thought a base unit - sound reasonable. Maybe someday I might learn more, but for now . . . At this time I'm planning on leaving it on, unless some evidence comes up that it is totally wrong.

toddbe

Reading my post I see I failed to mention the bad - There is a large hole where there should be an engine and transmission. I have the engine - which the prior owner started to take apart, but the transmission is missing.

I'm thinking about switching projects - drop the engine / transmission from the M37 I'm restoring (down to the frame right now) and put in the M43. The M43 then could be done by spring.
One of these days I'm going to figure out what I"m doing wrong with posting photos - here, if done right, is the empty engine compartment and with the engine in the barn. I do have (hopefully) everything that goes with it (generator, dist, carb , etc) Might be some small thing missing, but the big stuff is there.

Attachments

mobilized medic

Yo Toddbe;
During the past 15 or so years of digging around old MVs, I have come across at least three other M43s with sirens and an M152 as well. There is one close by and next time I see it, will check the tag on the siren unit.
Again, the bumper/unit number may give a clue as to where and possibly why, but toward the end of service life, a lot of these were base-bound and attached to emergency services for the families/civvies living and working on these bases. I have photos/recollections of where they are parked in dispensary parking lots, but I do not recall sirens on those units.
Shoulda paid more attention.
The M152 with a siren was attached to a base security unit for transport of , ahem, uniformed ne'er-do-wells to the brig. No padding on the shelf seats, but shackle tie downs on the floor and seats. I have no personal recollection of a ride in this.
Amazing the usefulness and history of these trucks.
Repeat, great find/save. Should be fun. Kinda like that new model kit that showed up on a birthday at a much younger stage in life. Only this one you REALLY get to "play with".
Regards, Mobilized (and never REALLY grown out of models) Medic

toddbe

On a cool rainy Sunday afternoon if you listen, you can hear the cries of any an old engine - clean me, reconvert me to 24 volt and install me in your M43.

I have removed the engine, clutch and transmission out of the M37 to start the process of getting it ready to install into the M43. Sadly I'm spending time with my wife instead of my engine. I mean . . . (glad she does not read these posts)

Attachments

helomedic1171

I just found an M43, I'm trying to get my dirty greasy hands on it. I just picked up an MEP 003A, too.... my wife is gonna be pissed when I wind up leaving her a Korea-'Nam Motor pool in the back yard while I'm away on "Business" next year with the Army. what do these things go for? what should I look for and how much should I pay for it if it doesn't run?

toddbe

My wife read me post - and is now threatening to paint my three trucks pink. Ugh

Cost - I'm sure there are some very knowledgeable people here that would give you there advice and great advice it can be.

I can tell you what I paid and about my truck. What I have posted should give you a good item about my truck, but am willing to answer questions if you have any. I paid $3.000 for it. Hope this helps.

helomedic1171

I appreciate it. I read the thread thus far. I'm hoping to pick it up cheaper than 3k, but we'll see. I have a soft spot for an old ambulance like that, I've only seen them in museums, but I've worked on HMMWV FLAs and MRAP HAGAs. I wouldn't mind bring one of these back to service condition, and then put some modern touches in it - My aid bag, a couple of modern chemical litters, airway equipment, etc. kinda like it was a well-kept hold-over from the national guard or something.

JH1

I had a M43CDN for years. Should have kept it. Dang. Anyway, the interior was an off-white/creme color that was gentle on the eyes. Maybe the glare issue was why the Canadians chose that color. Or maybe some goofball just painted it whatever color they wanted. I had the heater and never even considered firing it up. My bat-sense tingled bad every time I looked at it.
Jim

toddbe

I appreciate it. I read the thread thus far. I'm hoping to pick it up cheaper than 3k, but we'll see. I have a soft spot for an old ambulance like that, I've only seen them in museums, but I've worked on HMMWV FLAs and MRAP HAGAs. I wouldn't mind bring one of these back to service condition, and then put some modern touches in it - My aid bag, a couple of modern chemical litters, airway equipment, etc. kinda like it was a well-kept hold-over from the national guard or something.

Yeah I was hoping to get if for less than 3k also. I had been looking for sometime for one. With the completeness of inside, the little amount of rust . . . the price was worth it to me. That is probably the bottom line - what is it worth to you?

John Shipley

M43 Interior...

Good evening...Mayor Joe is correct; the ones we had issued to our Med platoon in the early '70s had a off-white/eggshell color in the patient compartment. The current one I'm restoring is restored to that shade. Hey Mayor Joe: Nice job on yours! I'm having trouble locating the racks and associated fittings for the patient compartment...any suggestions? I'm willing to travel with wrenches. THANKS, best regards, John:beer:

John Shipley

Pioneer tool set

Good afternoon....In the medical platoon, we stowed the tools in the "thru compartment" under the "box". The tools were not in the frame/holder that other vehicles utilized and rattled around. On my restoral, I found the frame/holder (with tools) fits very nicely in the compartment and I can reach them from either side.:beer:

toddbe

West Michigan Flood

OK so it has been a long time since I have added photos or updated my work. Honestly, I will update. But I just thought I would share what is happening here in Western Michigan - RAIN. There was six inches of water in the barn - down to about four now. I still have to swim to get to the barn. On the bright side - the Duece and I sent quality time driving through flooded roads and trails. Even towed a few stranded (and very water logged) cars.

_DSC6595.jpg

M715VFD405

This is the siren I got with my truck I can't read the plate have you been able to find out more about yours yet? You can send all that rain down this way just keep the cold lol. 20130418_195518.jpg

toddbe

As promised - updates on the work thus far. Inside - removed ceiling to inspect and in preparation of repainting. Some rust, however mice was the most damaging.
DSC06163.jpgDSC06192.jpgDSC06194.jpgDSC06199.jpgDSC06200.jpg

toddbe

Roof Rust removal - as I pulled away paint and removed rust - I found more rust. I know, what a surprise. I kept cutting until the rust was removed. I would like to 'shot' POR-15 down the areas that I did not open up. Has anybody done this before? How have you managed to get coverage in non-exposed areas? Both side of the truck has similar rust damage.

DSC06119.jpgDSC06122.jpgDSC06134.jpgDSC06136.jpgDSC06151.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks