• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter Lifter

Velheru1

Jesse, I think that would be a good solution for your 5-ton. also adds the advantage of having your camper box off the ground when its not on truck so you don't have to worry if you get a little ground water while you sleep.

Katahdin

Nuts, not sure how I missed this thread the first time around. Great work and fabrication! I like how you can lower the box all the way to the ground. I'd like one of these for my M109 too! My immediate problem is I've got some rust between the cab and box I'd like to get at and weld up. I think I could slide the box back a few feet to get that done, but I like the added possibilities that a complete lift system provides.

59apache

Chipmaker
i don't see a problem with adding this system to a bed and i assume the M109 box has more or less the same subframe. If you want top it, you can add containerlocks, a custom 3 point subframe and you have the best of all worlds:
better off-road capabilities
easy switch between box and bed

Velheru1

This would make a great method to enable multiple specialized beds/boxes for a single vehicle. Or even multiple vehicles. Great for work or play!

59apache

Chipmaker
thanks! It works got, the only thing i will change is the winch. A strap winch would be better.
More capacity would be nice, too. I guess i take one with 800-1000kg / 1760-2200 lbs cause they have funny measure methods..like "rolling load" etc..

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
update:
after a rope failure, i've decided to replace the winches. The rope breaks at normal lifting....normally a quality winch rope with 5mm is rated at 1300kg breaking load.
This rope doesn't stand 500kg....even with the weight of the half shelter on 1 leg (uneven load) the load isn't higher than 500kg, due double line pull.
I've expected this, the winches are CCC (cheap chinese crap) :) , ok not a rope failure, more a mechanical defect.

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
i don't feel offended....more confused. Overegineered is for me a more than neccessary complex thing.

:) thanks for the compliment!

Last edited:

welldigger

O ok. Now I see. What I meant was instead of replacing the cable with a stronger one you go all the way and install a way heavier duty winch. Not a bad idea but I doubt most people would have gone that route.

And perhaps a better way to put it would have been over built. Which is never a bad thing. Or at least almost never.

Last edited:

CommoChief

What an awesome set-up. I see this application helpful in many situations. I have been delaying a similar build with a container because I didn't want to bother a friend with a wrecker every time I needed to lift the container on and off. Thanks for turning the light bulb on. I also just read through your Cave #9 build and what an engineering feat - you ROCK!!!!!

Stay Safe....Bill

StrykerPerry

that lift system is awesome i plan to do the same to an s280 with my m35a2 and not a dropside either so ill modify it to be higher than the sides also i will run receiver hitch tubes on mine with a stronger mount higher up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks