• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery cable size

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which cables?

Wire sizes are listed in the TMs. (schematics)

Either sizes you listed, are larger than stock(iirc).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The factory cables are 2 guage.

Anything bigger than that is good. With all age of our trucks and all the dirty electrical connections, the more juice you can provide the better. Whatever you do don't go smaller.

MarcusOReallyus

The factory cables are 2 guage.

Anything bigger than that is a waste. With the lengths involved, you can't measure the difference. Proper connections will make more of a difference than going from 2 gauge to 00.

Slave cables can be pretty long, so it makes sense to have larger gauge for slave cables.

rsh4364

Thanks guys. thinking about moving batts.to rear of truck where more weight would help,would install behind rear wheel on drivers side.would def. use 1 gauge or better cable..What are your thoughts? it would also open up more room underhood for a fresh air intake system ?

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Oh, yeah! If you go back that far, you definitely want to go big! Just shooting from the hip (no calculations), I'd say I'd probably go to 0, with quality terminals. Don't skimp on the terminals!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you installing them inside or under the truck? Inside raises safety concerns about hydrogen gas.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing the battery cables is always a great idea.

Though moving them to the back won't make a whole lot of difference weight wise.

If you want to add more weight in the rear, consider adding a second spare.

I had an extra spare tire holder, so I cut it in four places and welded it up so it would fit on the drivers side, just like the passenger side. That adds a whole lot more weight to the rear, with out the concerns of two batteries gassing in the rear of an enclosed space.

Plus it gave me two spares, which I rotated all six tires once a year. Made the tires last a lot longer.

View attachment 397410

Last edited:

Anubis8472

Sorry .. had to chuckle at the "enclosed space" description.

Love the 'two spares' setup. I'll definitely have to put that on my list.
I usually leave my spare out of rotation to avoid shifting belts. That would certainly kill two birds with one stone.

Now I'm thinking about relocating batteries to....this site can be hazardous to the pocketbook.

Adrian A

You can buy batteries that have vent tubes for interior installation. All automobiles that have batteries in the trunk or cabin area have vent tubes that come off the battery and vent to the exterior.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks