• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce oil level question

russojap

Before I changed the oil the level on the dipstick was about 1/2" over the full line. After draining the oil and replacing the filters I added 5 gallons of oil and the level showed to be low by around 2 quarts I think. However, I wanted to run the engine first to not risk overfilling it.

Now the level reads back where it was before I changed the oil. How could the oil level have increased? It seems more likely it should have actually DECREASED after being circulated through the engine and new filters. Or am I waiting too long after running the engine to check the oil level? I thought the engine is supposed to take 5.5 gallons, how can it be over filled with only 5 gallons? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Never mind, thanks to Kevin I now understand that I didn't allow enough time for the new oil to flow into the oil pan, so the initial reading was inaccurate.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

When the vehicle 'stands' for any length of time the (Ridiculously! Designed) filters( Ensuring NO oil for quite a while on start up) drain out raising the oil level in the sump.
Thus, When checking the oil level, Run the engine for a minute and check the oil level again, whereat it should (Will) be at the correct level.
As an aside, Is why I fit a pre prime oil pump to all my M series trucks.
I then have full oil pressure at start up.

Last edited:

crzyxj

So I ordered a spin on filter kit here off the board. I would assume that I will have oil pressure faster because modern oil filters retain the oil. Would that be correct?

When my M52a2 had a Multi fuel adding the spin on filters where great no more guessing on how much oil was still in the filters .

The filters stayed full and the dip stick checked the oil level in the pan.

rustystud

So I ordered a spin on filter kit here off the board. I would assume that I will have oil pressure faster because modern oil filters retain the oil. Would that be correct?
Yes. The new style filters usually have a "check valve" in them preventing drain-back. I have "full" oil pressure in under 2 seconds now. That's setting for a week.

dmetalmiki

Yes, Not as good (or as high a starting pressure as with a pump), But Much better than 'the (Scary) no oil pressure for a 'week'" saga.

rustystud

Yes, Not as good (or as high a starting pressure as with a pump), But Much better than 'the (Scary) no oil pressure for a 'week'" saga.
I thought about adding a pre-start "pressurized oil system" but the cost was pretty high. So by adding the spin-on oil filters I got a pretty good system going now. It's not perfect, but it serves for now.