• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long to warm up 803a before 75% load?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my 803a sets bogs badly to the point of stalling when resistive load of 75% is switched in after about two minute warm up.

When first starting,it seems like it has low compression and takes several seconds to fire up and come up to speed. I understand that there is a delay to build oil pressure but the delay seems excessive to me.

It seems like retarded timing or low compression to me....I don't know for sure.

After a warm up period everything is smooth, the exhaust is HOT and everything runs fine with 43 amps load ( 120/240) L1-L3 load terminals.

My question is: How long do these need to warm up before application of a significant load?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let the machines get up to operating temp, before I ask anything of them. I don't know if there is an established time.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -10 TM suggests letting the set warm up for 5 minutes.

From the TM...

Under normal conditions warm up the engine without load for five minutes.
(If required, load can be applied immediately.)

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There you go. Unless I find myself in a hellish storm where I just need to get back up ASAP... I can give it 10-15 min to cruise.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies gents!

I normally do warm my sets up before applying a load but was curious as to performance while cold......now I know...it bogs.:-(

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to design the ideal warmup sequence it would look like this:

From start to coolant temp = ~100 degrees - No load
From 100 degrees to full operating temp + 5 minutes - 25% load

Adding a little load once all the fluids are circulating and starting to come up to temp helps diesels generate extra heat and bring it up to temp faster. I don't like to have a machine like this in an operational condition that can allow moisture to hang around if it can be avoided.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to design the ideal warmup sequence it would look like this:

From start to coolant temp = ~100 degrees - No load
From 100 degrees to full operating temp + 5 minutes - 25% load

Adding a little load once all the fluids are circulating and starting to come up to temp helps diesels generate extra heat and bring it up to temp faster. I don't like to have a machine like this in an operational condition that can allow moisture to hang around if it can be avoided.
Thanks....that sounds very reasonable and I will adopt that as my new procedure.