• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major air leak at Fan shutter-stat

todds112

So I started the truck up today to go over some things. Reset the CTIS and I'm still getting the 4 light error (leaking tire somewhere?). The truck aired up, but I noticed the secondary was having a rough time and coming up slowly. Then I noticed a strong hiss and traced it to the Shutter-stat. There is a small vent hole on the back of it and a strong stream of air was coming out, steadily draining the secondary air system.

Would this be a problem with the shutter-stat itself, or maybe a bad valve up-stream that's dumping air into it? I'm assuming if I remove the stat, a lot of coolant will come out. Trying to avoid making that mess right now, it's coooold.

Alexsha

You'll need to drain some coolant to get it off. I'd just drain into a cean bucket from the radiator. Remove, clean, and lube the shutter stat, replace, then pour the coolant back in.

I need to clean mine again. It's starting to stick open again.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can service in place without removing or loosing any fluid.
There is an O-ring behind the jam nut on the thermal capsule end. If that fails it will pressurize your cooling system and cause problems. There is also a spring loaded sliding tube on that end that needs to move freely. Best to remove it completely and service both ends.

As said above, just remove some coolant into a clean container from the radiator drain, remove the shutterstat and add the coolant back after installation.

Note: Don't mess with the tip/cap of the capsule. It's fragile and not serviceable.

IMG_20141224_100303_325.jpg

IMG_20141224_100325_565.jpg

todds112

Had a few extra minutes and decided to pull the guts out leaving the front part in the truck. I found the obvious problem.

The big O-ring was very hard and flattened on the outside surface. It wasn't broken, I did that removing it. The 2 smaller ones look fine, but I'll replace them too just to be safe. I noticed wrench marks on the valve body, so someone already was in the thing before. Can't get the parts till Friday of course.

Can not believe what a replacement costs. There's nothing to it, unless the sensor end is some space-age technology.

I'll pull the rest of it out of the radiator pipe and service it later if this gets me by. I hate messing with coolant a stuff like that in the winter.

IMG_0711[1].jpg

Last edited:

todds112

Looking at the pics from the other thread I see my valve is slightly different. My needle valve in the end cap is just plastic (the white pointy cone). In the others it is brass. I would be seriously ticked-off if I had to pay $250 for a new valve because that little $.05 piece failed.

Since there is no sign of any coolant in the valve body, I'm going to assume the other O-ring on the sensor end is good.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts in my picture are from my spare. It has the plastic plunger. The one in my truck has the brass plunger. The brass plunger has an O-ring that seals the hole, which is replaceable. I agree that the brass is a better design than the plastic.

todds112

Anyone have any luck replacing the large O-Ring? I don't think it's a standard size. I'm having trouble matching it up.

I've emailed the manufacturer, Evans Tempcon, to see if I can get that seal/o-ring.

Last edited:

shootist

Todds
i looked for one for several days...it's not standard or metric.....
It is between a 205 & 206 metric in all 3 dimensions (id,od,width)
I finally located one at a hydraulic packing and insulation company.
a little snug but lubed it and ran truck on and off under load and it works fine
cost me .80 cents. I took old one in to place and it took a bit but we matched it up

todds112

So, I finally heard back from Evans. They forwarded my email to a parts distributor, I CAN get the seal o-ring from them. They are $20.95 each (plus shipping), which is much better than $245 for a whole new actuator! I wasn't able to call today, but will call tomorrow and order one. I will post up the contact info, once I get it ordered and have it in my hand to verify.

Part was ordered 01/06/2015. Apparently it's a kit that contains all the O-rings.

Last edited:

todds112

Fail!

Arrrgh, finally got the parts from Evan's. They weren't sure what O-ring to send so they send me one of each they showed for the actuator. So I ended up with 4 different O-Rings ($5 ea) and none of them are the one I need!:x:x:x:x:x

Back to the drawing board. And I still have a dead-lined truck. I'm going to try to call them and actually talk to someone this time and explain what I need. Very frustrated at this point.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try these 2 part numbers at your local Cat house. I haven't had time to fully reassemble and test my spare with these installed but test fitting felt real good. The larger one is $5 and the smaller one is less than a buck. You'll need 2 of the smaller one.

Using multiple O-rings to determine nominal size for the larger one, I've come up with standard dimensions that should work. Try an O-ring with these dimensions: 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD x 1/8" CS. The cross sectional dimension seems to be the part that makes this a not so common size.

IMG_20150114_204849_743.jpg

IMG_20150114_204828_823.jpg

I have both of these O-rings installed but it'll be this weekend before I can completely assemble and test for proper function.

todds112

Using a micrometer on the worn one, I come up with 2.56mm thick and 12.99mm inside diameter. I found a listing for a metric one 3mm x 13mm. I'm trying to get my hands on one to test it.

The original is also not a true O-ring. It's kind of squared off. I think it's also a harder, almost plastic, material than most O-rings I can find.

The smaller ones are a standard size. Can't remember size off the top of my head, but found them in a standard kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks