• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home made oil filter gaskets?

MDSA

After one year and only 1700 miles, I decided to change the oil in the Deuce. I bought Baldwin filters as suggested and when I went to put the new top gasket on, it was way too small. The parts store could not help me, card board crushed and squirmed out, so i put the old back on but I have a small leak. The parts store guy was in the Marines and said they used plastic coffee can lids to make gaskets. That doesn't sound like it will work.

Anyone ever make their own gaskets out of anything?

Thanks, Brian

No.2Diesel

Thanks for posting this. Many people share your pain. I can't stand when a new filter doesn't have all the proper o-rings, gaskets etc.

I had to do the same thing on my deuce a few times. I flipped the paper gasket over, put it back on and it sealed. Same deal with the fuel filter o-rings.

I have since purchased a box or rubber o-rings.

Always have a roll of good thick gasket paper. (blue in color from Perma-Cool) You could punch out or cut your own from gasket paper. The coffee can lid idea sounds interesting

jatonka

Homemade oil filter gaskets

I think you will find that the Napa #5119 fiber gsket is exactly correct for the oil filter on the multifuel engine. It is a good number for sure as I buy them all the while. They are what the military supplied with their filter elements. I hope this helps you avoid making gaskets. JT out

deuceman51

If anyone bought filters from me and had any trouble, please pm me and I will look into it. I have sold over 30 sets of baldwin filters and no one has ever emailed me back with any problems or any gaskets not working. If there is a problem, let me know so I can get it fixed. I still have a few sets available if anyone needs any.

Thanks guys

avengeusa

I could have some made if there is a need, I have a friend that owns an o-ring comapny, they make crazy stuff for me all the time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks