• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

balancing 37" and 36" hummer tires.. not working out

84cucv1ton

3 sets of tires.. got them because he said they were cheap.. all 3 sets on rims.. cant balance them.. im not with them. not to sure what he means. just thought i would ask.. could the mold be off and there out of round or something like that? thanks

Alredneck

Banned
If they have the runflats still in them they wont balance like a regular tire.

Easiest thing to do is find a tire company that sells " Equal " or similar powder tire balancer. They usually come in bags that go in tire while broken down. But you can find stuff to go in through the valve stem. Some shops will do it for you. Look online lots of info.

I used 8oz bags in each 36in Super Swamper Iroks on my dodge and the tires wore really well and even. Put them on a machine and you will chase lead all day! If you find your tire size is between a bag weight go with the heavier bag.

Truckoholic

I used to have some of those 37 inch hummer tires on my lifted Suburban. Tire places would put a whole bunch of lead weights on them trying to balance them and it wouldn't work. I believe a lot of them are out of round. They used to break the shock mounts off my steer axle when I'd hit that speed right around 25-30 miles per hour and they would start wobbling like mad. If I would speed up it would go away and they were just fine at fast highway speeds and below 25. But of course most towns have 25mph speed limits, so everytime I'd drive through town, I'd be constantly having to remind myself to go under the speed limit or I'd get that terrible wobble in my steering again. Problem didn't go away til I put different tires on there.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I used to have some of those 37 inch hummer tires on my lifted Suburban. Tire places would put a whole bunch of lead weights on them trying to balance them and it wouldn't work. I believe a lot of them are out of round...
I had some out of round 1400x20 tires that were bad at 35mph. I just had them biuffed at a recapper.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/72422-bounce-bounce.html

The bounce is about 80% better but still not perfect. Seems no one will balance them. I got some truck wheel weights yesterday 2,4,6,8,10oz- 2 or 3 of ea/$10total. The LFront is apart for service. I'll plan put it together this weekend without seals, shoes or wheel bearing grease. I'll probably leave the nut at half turn loose too. Gravity will rotate them if they are off. I'll add weight to the top until it stops at no particular point. You can do any wheel this way though the run flat collar may be a problem if it can move around inside. (I removed them). I've done this before and it always works.

Alredneck

Banned
Yea I have been using the Equal powder fro years, and love it!

I have heard good things about the beads but no experience with em, some guys on other forums say they work just as good as the powder.

I have mixed thoughts on BBs, copper ones rolling around at ? rpm would think could cause internal damage to tire, but im not a tire expert. The airsoft plastic ones may work, but I tend to stay with products designed for the purpose I need them for, tire failure in the middle of no where suck!aua

spicergear

I have Dyna Bead (I think that's what it is...) ceramic beads in my stupid expensive XM-47's on the Unimog. I think their website sized it to around 20oz per tire. Wasn't cheap, but considering Michelin wants a King's ransom for these tires and a deal on them new is anything under $1,100 per tire...I want them to last as LONG as possible!!! No- I didn't buy them new.

Matt65

I never balanced my 37s. If the truck has sat for a while it takes a few miles to roll out the flat spots. Other than that rides great, you'd never know they weren't balanced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks