• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

‘72 M35A2 dripping Oil front end, bottom of Engine

Dasgog

Hello

this is the first time my vehicle has dropped any oil of any kind anywhere. I took it for a drive and will admit I was rough with it as it has sat for a month. Now I did wait after 30 minutes driving temp around 160, Oil Pressure 30 at idle and 55 or so driving.
As I approached the front I saw oil drips and went under. I saw no live leaking (as in flowing at that time as I assume since the engine was off, no pressure) and I saw oil whole front bottom pan going up towards those 2 front oil pan bolts. I do not see oil on bottom of the big pulley so it seems as if it’s the pan leaking. Please advise me what to do. I really hope it’s pan. I am attaching files of how it all looks now and I did clean up the oil from front pan to monitor continuous dripping, which I don’t.

Attachments

Dasgog

Hello

this is the first time my vehicle has dropped any oil of any kind anywhere. I took it for a drive and will admit I was rough with it as it has sat for a month. Now I did wait after 30 minutes driving temp around 160, Oil Pressure 30 at idle and 55 or so driving.
As I approached the front I saw oil drips and went under. I saw no live leaking (as in flowing at that time as I assume since the engine was off, no pressure) and I saw oil whole front bottom pan going up towards those 2 front oil pan bolts. I do not see oil on bottom of the big pulley so it seems as if it’s the pan leaking. Please advise me what to do. I really hope it’s pan. I am attaching files of how it all looks now and I did clean up the oil from front pan to monitor continuous dripping, which I don’t.
I drove it again to take pictures of how the oil drips, if that helps. Between the 2 front pan bolts are the 2 drips

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil pan is attached with 30 cap screws and lock washers. Check that they are tight.
The top of your engine around the cylinder heads appears dry and clean on the pictures. Any oil therefore comes from further down. I would spray everything that appears oily with brake cleaner and wash it off, let it dry. Then run the engine for 10 minutes or so and see if it seeps somewhere, especially around the timing gear or front crank shaft.

If there is nothing, go for a short drive and check again.

Also, check the engine oil itself; is it the right consistency or does it look very thin? Diesel fuel dilution in the oil? That would cause leaks also.

Dasgog

The oil pan is attached with 30 cap screws and lock washers. Check that they are tight.
The top of your engine around the cylinder heads appears dry and clean on the pictures. Any oil therefore comes from further down. I would spray everything that appears oily with brake cleaner and wash it off, let it dry. Then run the engine for 10 minutes or so and see if it seeps somewhere, especially around the timing gear or front crank shaft.

If there is nothing, go for a short drive and check again.

Also, check the engine oil itself; is it the right consistency or does it look very thin? Diesel fuel dilution in the oil? That would cause leaks also.
Hello

I did not have any cleaner but I cleaned what I could with shop towels. Took it for a casual drive and when I got back, same oil leak. As you say the top side is completely dry and the only wet I see is at the seal by the 2 front pan bolts (seems freakin right when I just tried them). But I can’t see above that which is where the pulley is and apparently more that could leak?

I did not check the oil but I did do complete oil change, drain , fill and filters 7 months ago and drive it like 150 miles since then

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

He never really diagnosed it but changed the front oil seal. I suggest you try and see where it is coming from. That gives you a better idea of what needs to be done.

davidb56

looks like a crank shaft seal. I'd spray brake cleaner on it and watch it develop. It may clean itself up, or if its not bad, its a good rust preventative.

Dasgog

looks like a crank shaft seal. I'd spray brake cleaner on it and watch it develop. It may clean itself up, or if its not bad, its a good rust preventative.
it’s not flowing by any means and when vehicle is off it doesn’t leak so I assume only under pressure.
I will mention this... I have noticed an unusual amount of white smoke lately. When it sits idle I see no smoke at all but every time I change gear or especially from a stop and go it’s cloud of white smelly like when your behind an old car and that smoke just comes out.
As I said it’s been weeks since driven so it may be a coincidence but so they at all sound connected?

mad far as you both mentioning the crank seal I will just have to change it out though I know nothing on how to but I’m sure I’ll figure it out

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you getting white smoke out of the stack is this after the truck is fully warmed up and you have been driving it for awhile? White smoke out of a fully warmed up engine is a little questionable, I would sure have a look in the radiator at the coolant to see if by chance you have any funny little oil splotches in the coolant? I dont want to add to your burden but white smoke out the stack on fully warmed up engine could be a sighn of a head gasket leaking.
Good luck and I really like the suggestion about checking all the pan bolts for tightness hopefully that covers your oil leak?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mad far as you both mentioning the crank seal I will just have to change it out though I know nothing on how to but I’m sure I’ll figure it out
No need to figure anything out. The military has it all figured out for you. All you have to do is

- find the correct Technical Manual
- read the instructions on how to do the job, so you know what to expect
- follow the instructions and do the job

Manuals: Jatonka's site http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM35sTMdownloadpage.htm
or on the steelsoldiers site: go to the homepage, top, see "manuals"

You want
TM 9-2320-361-24-1 titled TECHNICAL MANUAL FIELD AND SUSTAINMENT MAINTENANCE FOR 2-1/2 TON, 6X6, M44A2 SERIES TRUCKS (MULTIFUEL)

Locate the chapter on VIBRATION DAMPER AND SEAL MAINTENANCE which you find as chapter 0028 00

That's it! Pictures and all!

Oerthedge21

How white is the smoke? When I get on it hard my truck produces a light gray smoke instead of black. Does the smoke smell sweet at all? That's an easy test a good way to point yourself in the right direction for a headgasket

Dasgog

How white is the smoke? When I get on it hard my truck produces a light gray smoke instead of black. Does the smoke smell sweet at all? That's an easy test a good way to point yourself in the right direction for a headgasket
hello

So after sitting for two days I turned her on. Turned right on, one quick puff of blackish smoke then by the time it’s fully warmed (well 5 mins or so) it’s blowing no smoke and runs smooth. I checked the oil and radiator fluid and I truly see nothing wrong on that front. After I drove it off sure enough every time I am at a stop then go it’s a white cloud. When I got back I recorded what it looks like... also no it doesn’t smell sweet. Doesn’t even smell diesel. Smells like an 87 Honda no one took care of and when yer behind him and he goes all that white smoke makes you cough it’s such an ugly smell. I will mention this.... I know the pros and cons of this but I did indeed do it nonetheless and went to a 2 fuel filter setup. I drive on the street on weekends using regular diesel. Could they be it? Do I need to adjust timing? Or the IP?
NM, I can’t post an 8 second video.

Oerthedge21

That's strange, I'm not sure what would cause that type of smell. Do you mix oil or anything into your fuel? Also you can post videos here in the form of posting them on YouTube and then linking the video in your post. That's how i do it

Dasgog

That's strange, I'm not sure what would cause that type of smell. Do you mix oil or anything into your fuel? Also you can post videos here in the form of posting them on YouTube and then linking the video in your post. That's how i do it
hello sorry for the delay work has been hell.

the only thing I added was, what I believe, was the correct mixture of Stanadyne treatment as I filled up the tank. That is the only thing that has changed.
believe it or not at 40 I still have never made a YouTube account. But now I know 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks