• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 KW generator question

mikester

Ive been looking to replace my gas powered 7.5KW generator. Ive seen a lot of the MEP-003As and a few of the MEP-803As on GL. I was going to bid on one but a friend of mine told me that theyre really not good to use as backup power for a house because they don't have the right regulator. He says I stand a chance of frying all the electronics in the house. Is that true ?
I cant believe the military only uses these gensets to power up lights.

mikester

I should have mentioned that this same guy bought 3 15KW generators (trailer mounted) through GL and he uses one for backup power for his shop. He uses it for basic stuff like heat, lights and a compressor. Did you get yours through an auction or did you pick them up in a private sale ? Also did you have anything running like computers, TVs, microwaves running ?

Munchies

See the "bad military surplus generator advice" thread. Saying that they are not suited to residential split phase 120/240v AC is crap advice.
I could not ask for anything from my 003A that I can't change myself. Ie. Fuel filtration etc.

Isaac-1

Not true at all. Although a 10 kw mep003a might be overkill unless you need to power electric water heaters or central air conditioner. These are rated at 10kw 24/7/365 at up to 120 degrees F not at all like consumer 10kw surge rated standby generators.

Harleyd315

I had everything running heat,computer, TV, Dryer, Oven and microwave all worked pefectly and still do. I get mine from various sources, refurbish them and then sell them. If interested PM me.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your friend was/is full of crap. These generators put out power comprable to, if not better than anything available on the civilian market. And most modern electronics and household items are capable of operating off of various frequencies...ie. 50/60 Hz

steelypip

Maybe your friend has these gensets confused with the 400 Hz versions which are indeed not suitable for home use. The MEP-002A, MEP-003A, MEP-016 and MEP-701A sets make exactly the same kind of electricity in exactly the same way that the power company supplies your house.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a MEP 003 that I bought from a individual.

I've watched them on GL but have been afraid to pull the trigger. I can tackle almost anything mechanical but electronics aren't my strong suit so I've been afraid a GL generator will have electronic problems that I can't handle without lots of help or money. The one I picked up was just a little higher than ones sell on GL for and I was willing to pay that knowing I was getting a working generator.

DieselBob

I have used my MEP-003 to power our home for several days on a few occasions and have had no ill effects on anything in the house. I just loved the fact that I could power all the normal lights plus 2 refrigerators a separate freezer, 2 central AC units and the electric oven and only hit about 80% on the load meter. Is this more than I need for simple survival in a power outage, yes, but if I wanted to go camping i would buy a tent.

Isaac-1

On the GL dice roll topic, I have bought about half a dozen generators on GL over the last few years, and so far I have been able to get them all to run and produce power without any real major work. Out of these generators only one was a runner (excluding needing new batteries), the others have all had multiple minor issues (not always easy to find though), the worst was lightly seized (had about a gallon of water in the oil pan thanks to an open exhaust manifold) which I was able to free up by soaking in ATF/Marvel Mystery Oil, it also needed new, battery cables, radiator hoses, oil pressure switch, etc. Other's had minor wiring problems, bad voltage regulator, missing control circuit board, clogged fuel filters, etc. In addition to these points most had some type of non-critical flaws as well, broken panel gauges are common, etc. One smoked a bit until warm and needed to have its diesel injection pump rebuilt, but it was not critical to operation. Thankfully in the case of most of the MEP generators there are good technical manuals available with step by step diagnosis procedures, although these are not without their flaws, limitations and omissions.

Ike

Jimc

i have powered my house and shop quite a few times with my 002 and 003 and i can tell you if anyone's house is a test of the electronics compatibility of these generators its mine. i have so many electronics in the house running its not funny. 4 computers, vinyl cutter, 3d printer(thanks jim), 3 routers, 3 hard drives, 5 tv's, stacks of pro audio and high end home theater equipment, tons of led lighting, even my thermostat.....should i go on? never an issue with any of this stuff. my 003 flawlessly puts out enough clean power to run all that plus the well pump, central air and most of my shop, compressor included. you have been given false information my friend.

Jimc

Wow that was an awesome video jim. Fantastic link. Haha what do you think all those printers cost? Thats some serious hardware!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks